Chapter 11

"Hospital"

I wake up in a hospital bed. Sitting next to me is my former co-worker, Kendrick. He must have heard about me getting shot. I struggle to sit up and fall back into the bed.

"Shit!" I said.

"Dominic," Kendrick said waking from his sleep.

He looks at me and gets excited. "Dominic you're alright."

I look at him and turn to my side. "Easy for you to say."

"Come on man, you're alive. Cheer up."

He rights I'm alive but I don't feel alive. It's like that bullet put a hole in the chest physically and emotionally. I feel void.

Kendrick stands up from his seat and walks over to me. "I know things haven't been going right for you and I can't help but feel bad for you. But I got good news. Miss Karen told me to tell you that we need you, and you're welcome to come back if you want."

They're offering me my old job back after I've been shot. The job I hated for having me interact with incompetent customers.

What a sick joke.

"Tell her I'm good," I said.

Kendrick looks shocked. "Why are you refusing to come back? I mean you've been shot just a couple of days after being fired. Whatever your doing to make money is not safe."

"It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make to be happy."

"Are you really happy?"

"I feel a step closer."

Before I was fired all I felt was hate, hiding behind a mask. Now I feel nothing. And I consider that a step forward.

"What are you trying to do with your life, Dominic?"

I gather the strength to sit up and face him. "I know what I don't want to do. I don't want to sit around smiling at people who I hate."

Kendrick's face becomes sad. "Are you really that cruel?"

I stare at him.

Kendrick steps away from me and gets ready to leave. "I'll let her know you aren't coming back. Just know if you need anything you can call me."

Kendrick starts to go and before he could I say something. "I do need your help with something."

Kendrick stops and looks at me.

"With what?"