Backstory

Hello dearest reader,

I've had this story floating around for a while and so I'm finally putting it to paper, or more accurately electronic paper ;) Thank you for clicking on it! If you have anything to say please feel free to, just be constructive if it's a criticism. I do not appreciate and won't take advice that is just plain rude and unreasonable!

Have a lovely night/day/afternoon/evening! <3 xxx

Our Golden Trio <3

Rachel Hazel Smith

Birthday: 5th January 1895

Hometown: Hatfield, Hertfordshire

William Schofield

Birthday: 28th July 1894

Hometown: Banstead, East Surrey

Thomas Blake

Birthday: 17th September 1898

Hometown: Exeter, Devonshire

Disclaimers!

This story and characters are a combination of the brilliant Sam Mendes film, my own research, what I find interesting and compelling in this narrative and what I would love to read should there have been a third party to the mission.

Rachel is naturally going to be a mix of the Victorian and modern woman, some of the language might be a bit ahead of the time and I wanted Rachel to have that cheerful and boyish flair but I've tried to have her grounded in the 1900s.

Spoilers for the film (obviously) and I'm sure there are going to be inconsistencies in the historical accuracy of the time period, nurses in WWI and other nuances. I don't have a degree in creative writing or WWI history, but I love reading and writing these stories! Also Schofield is single...just to make that clear 😂

Although the story is heavily inspired by the Sam Mendes masterpiece, this novel is a work of fiction. Any reference to real people (living or dead), actual locations and historical events are solely used to lend to the fiction and appropriate cultural and historical setting. All other names, characters, places and incidents portrayed in this story are the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance or reference to actual persons (living or dead) is entirely coincidental.

BACKSTORY

Some backstory, important moments in Rachel's life that led her becoming a nurse, working on the Front Line and eventually meeting our two favourite boys. <3

Enjoy xx <3

5th January 1895-1897 (0-2 years old): Humble beginnings...

Rachel Hazel Smith was born on a warm, rainy day in Hertford County Hospital in Hertfordshire. She was the younger sister to James and Michael – who were 3 and 5 respectively – and daughter to Rod and Florence. When her older brothers met her for the first time, they had never seen something so soft and innocent and it wasn't long after Rachel could walk and talk that she wanted to be the bees knees...just like her older brothers.

Florence was absolutely exhausted after labour...Rachel was her hardest (until the twins came along) but just like her previous two, she forgot about the pain the second she felt her newborn wrap her tiny hand around her finger, wailing and screaming because all she wanted was her mother.