A New Pen Pal and Location...

Disclaimer!

Although the story is heavily inspired by the Sam Mendes masterpiece, this novel is a work of fiction. Any reference to real people (living or dead), actual locations and historical events are solely used to lend to the fiction and appropriate cultural and historical setting. All other names, characters, places and incidents portrayed in this story are the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance or reference to actual persons (living or dead) is entirely coincidental!

Enjoy <3 xx

28th January 1917...

Dearest Rachel,

Thank you for thinking of me, I can always do with more luck even though your handkerchief does plenty. It smells so much nicer than what I'm used to that I've been putting a few drops on your gloves. The spearmint makes holding the guns and bearing the cold a nicer ordeal.

There was a scare last night. We were on the edge of a trench attack but relatively spared because we hid under bodies. We got a few mates out and Blake was in the last rescue when a bullet skimmed his helmet but hit a mate next to him. I'm alright, no bullet wounds for me and having this is helpful so forgive me, I don't like being a burden sharing so tell me if it's too much.

What they're doing to villages has been on my mind too. They pillage, evacuate or kill civilians, burn their homes and buildings, use their resources and slaughter their animals. They're under Generals orders but I've heard some get more involved and enjoy it. Boys are turning into monsters on both sides.

I don't want to put on you more than what you're comfortable with and seem weak. But our conversations turn positive and help me feel better. I'm beginning to trust this process so thank you for your patience and understanding. I can't say this to my family, it easily fuels the hate and turns me reckless and I'll see red. Blake said that was why he left his studies. It certainly worked, but it makes me uneasy.

The first streams of dawn are coming into the dugout. It reminds me of mornings when first light and chatter would wake me instead of a whistle, rat or artillery. That feels like paradise, and I got to see you and have a warm breakfast. What I would give to have those mornings and moments with you again. The blend really is wonderful, thank you.

Stay safe and keep your faith.

Always waiting for your reply,

William

P.S - Mags said it's an improvement. Do you agree?

~

3rd February 1917...

Dearest William,

Will you stop being a silly goose? Being honest with your struggles is helpful when you share it with someone you trust. To handle this on your own breaks my heart and you could never be a burden. Please tell me whatever troubles you have and I'll do my best to understand and be supportive. You have a way with words and will find the right ones in time.

You are right, being angry can direct your behaviour into a cathartic moment, but be damaging when it turns you to a threat. As for what the Germans are doing, I am wrapping my head around it, but cannot shy away from what's happening. The boys – whether they mean to or not – tell me and reading it from you is validating. Thank you for your honesty because it made me realise something.

I saw our enemy as us, scared and vulnerable boys being told to kill before someone kills them all in the service of saving our country. However, some are willing or worse, enjoying inflicting pain and suffering onto innocent people, those who have nothing to do with them. You're right, this war is warping so many young people.