Letters, firsts and friendly meetings...

Disclaimer!

Spoilers for the film (obviously) and I'm sure there are inconsistencies in the historical accuracy of WWI, the nurses and other nuances. I am just interested in this part of history and love reading and writing dramatic love stories! Also Schofield is single...just to make that clear haha

Although the story is heavily inspired by the Sam mendes masterpiece, this novel is a work of fiction. Any reference to real people (living or dead), actual locations and historical events are solely used to lend to the fiction and appropriate cultural and historical setting. All other names, characters, places and incidents portrayed in this story are the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance or reference to actual persons (living or dead) is entirely coincidental!

Enjoy! <3 xx

April 26th 1916...

My dear father,

Nearly a month since I've arrived at the field hospital and so far, it is what I expected. We are in Pozières and fortunate to be stationed in the town's community hall, so there's a fireplace to keep us warm when winter comes along. The countryside is beautiful, the fields are green and while I will always love our lavenders, it's easy for me to enjoy the sunshine when I'm surrounded by this lovely scenery.

Michael isn't near me as he's stationed further south and when I first arrived I had to hide my disappointment. I know these things are out of my control and you'd remind me to be grateful that he is reliable with replying to my letters; and I am. But at the same time I want to see my brother, I miss him so much.

The workload is governed by the ebb and flow of what's happening out there; it could be madly busy for three days and then deathly quiet the next four. I've seen men come in with remarkable injuries, nothing like I have seen before. It makes me pray for Michael more than usual and I hope you four are all making the most of the clearer days and weakening pollen. Mother isn't the best with her allergies and so I'm glad I got your tolerance. Being surrounded by fields people are sneezing often which isn't ideal during an operation.

How is work going? How many of your employees have volunteered to fight? I hope you are taking care of the women who have started working under you. We need as many hands as we can get and you know how valuable a person can be regardless of gender.

The routine and responsibility of looking after men, hearing them moan and cry and be a source of comfort can be draining and so to counteract it I have been drawing more. In my next letter I'll send one of the fields I have been growing so fond of. There's nothing remarkable about them, but maybe that's why I love them.

Two nurses with whom I travelled with named Dorothy and Bethany sang in their churches and so we have decided to form a trio. We want to sing folk songs, jigs, hymns, just about anything that will make us feel better. What do you think father? What songs should we sing? You always have a good idea with these things. Dorothy has a wonderful alto timbre and Bethany and I swap harmonies so it's a lot of fun to sing with them.

Sometimes when I am on my break laughing with other nurses, I forget what's happening out there. Am I foolish for being able to forget what turbulent times we are in? You know I shan't ever take these moments for granted and enjoy them, so that is what I'm doing.

Stay safe and write back soon.

Love from your daughter,

Rachel xx

April 29th 1916...

My dear mother,