A piece of bloody tin with a ribbon on it...

Disclaimer!

Although the story is heavily inspired by the Sam Mendes masterpiece, this novel is a work of fiction. Any reference to real people (living or dead), actual locations and historical events are solely used to lend to the fiction and appropriate cultural and historical setting. All other names, characters, places and incidents portrayed in this story are the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance or reference to actual persons (living or dead) is entirely coincidental!

Enjoy <3 xx

16th July 1916...

Dear Eddie and Ellie,

Thank you for your lovely letter Eddie and thank you for your beautiful drawing Ellie, you're both already showing signs of being a better artist than me so keep practising because I love seeing your progress! You two have enough charm and talent to light up Hertfordshire, please leave something for the rest of us. We could use some of it over here.

What else have you been doing? Have you been helping mother with the comforts? We need every pair of hands we can to help our brave Tommies. When winter comes they'll need it so you have time to practice. I wonder what a french winter is like, we shall see if it's better or worse than home...I am preparing for the worst. Perhaps prepare to knit a scarf for me in that case. Pretty, pretty please?

The postcard is of something I've been seeing over the past week. This adorable little bird has been sitting on the same branch and every now and again I hear it sing. I have become quite familiar with its tune and might make a song out of it. That's if the bird says I can, I haven't been brave enough to ask it. Should I?

I remember when you brought an injured chick home Ellie and almost cried because you were horrified that a baby was without its mother. Your compassion is so beautiful. I wonder where that bird is now? I hope they're watching over you like mine is. Should I name it? I should figure out if it's a male or female first, or I'll just give it a unisex name? So many questions!

I hope you two are taking care of mother and father because you're the glue holding the family together. Michael and I are so appreciative of what you've already done, you're my heroes. Never lose hope, it's needed now more than ever.

Stay safe, I am always praying for you my darlings.

Your loving older sister,

Rachel xx

17th July 1916...

Dearest Father,

Apologies for the delay, as I am sure you've heard and read there was a costly battle near my hospital that was a punch in the gut for all of us. The aftermath of the Somme was horrid with hundreds, now possibly over a thousand, men having come to our hospital with either noses blown off or limbs shredded beyond repair.

I am worried about what these events are doing to me, the other nurses and the men psychologically. It's hard to look at them in their states and in so much pain. I've been having nightmares that can wake me up in the middle of the night or leave me frightened. I want to be with you at home or in the lavender fields. I can only imagine how the soldiers are dealing with it as well as feeling homesick.

But it's not all bad. I have Alice, Bethany and Dorothy to keep me company and keep me sane. We gossip and giggle over many cups of tea and sing songs, which are not too different from our regular family evenings. I haven't been able to practice the guitar in a while, but once this is over I think a concert is very much needed. The birthday concert we did for Harry is still one of my favourites I've ever done.