And More Letters...

Disclaimer!

Although the story is heavily inspired by the Sam Mendes masterpiece, this novel is a work of fiction. Any reference to real people (living or dead), actual locations and historical events are solely used to lend to the fiction and appropriate cultural and historical setting. All other names, characters, places and incidents portrayed in this story are the product of the author's imagination and any resemblance or reference to actual persons (living or dead) is entirely coincidental!

Enjoy <3 xx

18th October 1916...

Dear Rachel,

I am trying to be diligent with sleep but it's irregular. When I settled in the hospital, I could sleep through most of the night and wake up heavy because my body was starving for rest. The football matches tire me which has been helpful, but I am on edge. Sleeping in the front line is hard, but I want to make the effort for you.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could eat every dessert in France. Not because you have a monster appetite and are greedy, but you enjoy food. I'm not taking a hot meal for granted ever again, I am done with bully beef and dog biscuits. I would love to know what you wouldn't try. I do have a savoury tooth, but I'll enjoy a Carrot or Cinnamon Apple Bundt Cake with tea.

We've covered ground and gained territories, it's starting to look up. We've survived vicious bombardment penetrating defences planned in July with the help of our tanks, but it's costly. They still break down but we're working with them the best we can. But now we have the advantage of stronger fortresses and it means something that you care to know.

Three guitarists would be an exceptional sight and I hope the birthday concert went well. I don't know bush ballads but it sounds interesting and Private Corn would have appreciated something from home. I am not surprised you like Irish songs, they suit your voice. When you sang Loch Lomond and wish I recorded it because I miss your singing.

I am getting back into writing. Growing up with a keen writer and reading Lewis Carroll and Lord Byron, it became one of my favourite hobbies. But I fell in and out with it while I've been on the front so I'll be a little rusty.

I am tired but hopeful. Stay safe.

Yours Sincerely,

William

23th October 1916...

Dearest William,

I haven't been in the trenches, and hopefully never will, but from what I've heard about and seen from it, I don't think I could sleep so I appreciate the effort. What other hobbies or recreational activities do you enjoy? Were there any sports you played growing up? What other hobbies would you do if you were out of love with writing?

Oh I do not take offence, loving food is a big part of my life and I want to eat my way through Paris, Bordeaux and Dijon. Bully beef and dog biscuits? Goodness that doesn't sound appetising, your stomach must be steel by this point. I have seen a pig's brain and ox tongue and want nothing to do with either, thank you very much, but those flavours however are delicious, does your family bake them?

I am pleased at the positive update but grit my teeth at the repercussions. Of course I care to know about it, I want to know how you're doing! I get glimpses from Michael and my patients but I want whatever knowledge I can get so I can be consoling. Plus, I like reading your writing, it's comforting so thank you for keeping me updated.