Chapter 3.

Zuko sat on his plush bed, his arms around Katara as she sat in his lap. His legs spread open to allow her comfort, her head laying on his shoulder, turned to one side to look out the window, she felt relaxed in his arms. His left arm around her back to rest on his propped up knee while his other absently-minded rubbed Katara's small stomach through the robes she wore. She sighed softly and his left hand moved to brush her hair from her face. "You know, Katara," Zuko began with a velvety tone. "Ever since that night when this started," his hand softly padded at her stomach and his left hand fell to her shoulder. "I haven't taken another woman. I ask some of the concubines up here to play music for me while I do my papers. But I've not had any interest in taking one."

Katara stirred. "Why?" She looked up to him by tilting her head. He shruged and she closed her eyes. "I meant what I said. Even though you were sick with that poison, I couldn't imagine being alive without you around." Her voice cracked slightly. "I was so angry at father for doing that and I still am. I made brash decisions." Pausing to sigh, she hugged herself closer to his body. "I guess I'll pay for it now. Nothing we can do about it. It's too late." Katara's hand closed around his robe as though it could comfort her more. He held her hand.

"Why must it be a punishment? Can we not look upon this as a good thing?" Adjusting his seating, Zuko hugged her tightly to him. "For now, let's just go with the flow. You are welcome to stay here. In fact, I'd rather you did. So I can see my child growing and be born. It is the heir to the throne now." Katara flinched at his words. "I know. A multi-nation child.." he trailed off and heaved a sigh. Placing kisses on her head, he trailed down to her nose. He offered Katara the rare smile he gave when he was truely content and she smiled back. "With what happened when you were here last, I can understand if you'd rather not. But please come back before it is due?" She nodded to him in agreement of this. "I wonder though. Why do you show signs so early? Most do not show for at least another moon cycle. It's as though it's growing faster than normal."

"Maybe there's more than one?" Katara absently-minded mused aloud. She gasped when she realised what she'd said.

"Let's not jump to conclusions." Zuko nervously stated. "For now, it's one. One is enough." He kissed her head again. "I know you probably don't want to hear this. But Aang is due a visit by tomorrow. Maybe the day after."

Her eyes lowered. "I'm tired." Crawling out of his arms, she nestled herself in the blankets on her side. Zuko sat back a moment more, then lay next to her. His arm wrapped around her waist gently as he spooned her. His mind drifted off as he fell asleep inhaling the lilac scent still lingering on her body at how everything began.