Chapter 1 - Emerson

I worked for one of the greatest companies in the world, Lafayette Inc. It was five years ago, when I was twenty, that I started working at the soon-to-be esteemed business. At this time, Lafayette Jett was only twenty-seven, the company only five-years-old, but he was slowly taking the world by storm. TIME Magazine referred to his company as a modern day Tiffany & Co., but with a darker shade of cyan. His ethereal teal color was becoming iconic among his brand. Women would pull off a shirt from a regular department store saying, "Oh, this looks like a Lafayette shirt."

Entering one of his stores was an experience, and that's what was setting his company apart. It wasn't just a fashion line or a home decor line. It wasn't just for rich people. When you walked into a store it felt like walking into an ethereal oasis (ethereal is a keyword among the brand). Don't get me wrong, there are things that are very expensive, but the average person can walk in, be adorned in beautiful clothing, and be offered a complimentary photoshoot.

    However, the thing that really sets Lafayette Inc. apart is that it's one of the best companies to work for. It had actual livable wages for pay and outstanding benefits. It is a certified B-corporation with zero carbon emissions, the best eco-friendly fashion company that exists. People wanted to work for the company because of all the good it did for the world, through its charitable foundation and lack of exploitation. The richest people in the world hated Mr. Jett because he proved that you didn't have to exploit workers to become rich or run a successful company.

He was for sure rich, but you didn't need a college degree to work for him. I only had an associate's degree in professional writing, but this was good enough for a position on the twentieth floor. When I was twenty-two I was promoted to administrative assistant to the marketing office, on the twenty-second floor. I turned twenty-five in May and then, in late June, I was given the opportunity to interview for an elite position on the twenty-fifth floor.

    Carla Rodriguez was the Chief Marketing Officer of the company and one of the founders. I didn't work with her directly everyday. Marge was her main assistant, but when Marge broke her leg and was on FMLA for two months, I stepped in. This is when I got to know Carla, and when she proposed I interview for the position on the twenty-fifth floor.

    "I think you would fill the position wonderfully," she told me. "You're punctual, energetic, young. Do you want to work for this company for a while? You can easily establish a career here if you choose."

    "Oh I love working here," I said. "It's definitely a great job."

    "Is it your dream?" she asked through her gorgeously full lips adorned in a bronzy rose lipstick. She had the slightest Spanish accent.

    "I wouldn't say it's my dream, but my dream doesn't offer the best job stability so I would like to have a full time job." I shrugged, smiling.

    "So what is your dream then?"

    "Well, I really love writing, so I've always wanted to be a professional writer, but it would probably take a while to really establish myself as a writer and who's to say I can't do that while working full time?" I said.

    She smiled at me, and two days later told me I would be interviewing for an administrative assistant position on the twenty-fifth floor. I didn't know much about the position going in. She mentioned the position would pay much better. While I did get paid well, better than the average New York salary, I still had to have a roommate to afford my bills. My roommate was a weird guy, though, so if I could make more money to move out then I would gladly interview for the position.

    On the day of the interview, I wore my best suit. Unfortunately, I didn't own a Lafayette suit but I did at least have a tie in ethereal teal, a Lafayette original. I didn't know how to tame my shaggy brown hair so I let it be, hoping originality would go over better than conformity. I was very nervous because I didn't know who I would be meeting with at all. The only person I ever talked to from the twenty-fifth floor was Don. He was Mr. Jett's advisor, an assistant of sorts, and another one of the founders. His husband, Jerry, was one of the founders as well but retired last year. He did still visit often, though.