Chapter 16 - Lafayette

After Emerson left my office, I sat down in my chair only to just stand back up and pace. I couldn't sit still. There were too many emotions coming over me at once. I was so mad at Emerson. I was embarrassed. I was devastated. I was ashamed. No one was ever supposed to know about the phone calls between Richard and I. But why? It was my dirty secret. No one was supposed to know that I let him talk to me the way he did. So I was embarrassed that Emerson heard this, and ashamed that he knew I let Richard do this. But also, Emerson intentionally listened to my phone call. How could he do that? He knew trust was such an important thing to me. He knew I was private. But he knew that the phone calls ruined my day. He shouldn't have cared, though. I'm his boss. Nothing more...

After pacing around my office I went into the flat. I scarfed down a bag of potato chips and chugged a can of beer. I went into the gym and worked out, sprinting on the treadmill. I punched the punching bag as well, but I wasn't picturing Emerson. I couldn't picture him. I pictured Richard, then myself. I punched the bag so hard that the cover tore. After working out for a few hours, I felt sick. I took a shower which helped me. I didn't know what to do, but I had to distract myself. I got in my car and drove to the townhouse.

I stopped on the fifth floor and looked in Emerson's room. Ever since he moved in, I barely entered that bedroom. His stuff was mostly packed back up, but there were a handful of things across the room, like a notebook, a stuffed horse, and his favorite rainbow water bottle. I hated that I was going to miss him. I shouldn't be missing him. I shouldn't be missing him right now, but I did. I didn't want to fire him. None of this should have happened. I never should have let him stay with me. He was my employee. I shouldn't know about him as much as I do. I shouldn't care about him as much as I do. But he was so nice, and when he looked at me I could tell that he wanted to listen to me, to make me smile, that he cared about me. He was nice. He was kind. He was genuine. His eyes couldn't hide a thing. His smile lit up a room. He was so...

I had to distract myself. I pulled out my phone and scrolled through my contact. Who to text? I landed on Liam's name. I texted him quickly, seeing if he could come over. He messaged me a few minutes later, saying he could. I freshened up in another quick shower and then put on sweatpants and a t-shirt. A few minutes later, Liam arrived.

"Hey there," he said, stepping inside.

"Hi," I said, shutting the door behind him. "I just want to be clear, I need you to distract me from my thoughts. Is that okay with you?"

Liam nodded. "That's fine. I figured this was going to be a no strings attached thing. I was supposed to go out with some friends tonight but they decided to be shady assholes, so I also need a distraction."

"I never met your friends, but I also never liked them based on what you said," I said.

He shrugged. "These are even new friends I've made. I guess I'm just bad at picking the right friends. But it's ok." He walked upstairs to the second floor.

When Liam had come over while we were kind of dating, we used the bedroom on the second floor. I didn't want him to come to my bedroom. In the second floor bedroom, I started with kissing him and taking his shirt off. Liam knew what I liked and he was easy to please. He was a very easy going guy in general. Sometimes he was too easy going to the point I questioned if he cared about me, back when we were together.

"Get on the bed," I said.

I turned off the light and crawled onto the bed over him. Liam was thin but still somewhat muscular. He was lean. He wasn't as soft as Emerson. Emerson had been so warm and his skin was like silk. I couldn't help but think about Emerson in my arms as Liam was in my arms. I clenched my eyes shut and tried to think of something else. I fucked Liam harder, the distraction not working.