2. Are you sure?

"Did you get the eggs, Suki?" her mom asked her but she was just catching her breath from running with full speed.

"Mom, actually... um-" she stuttered, not sure what to say as she herself hadn't checked how much eggs were intact yet.

Her mom peeked from the kitchen to the living room where Natsuki was standing still at the doorstep like a statue in confusion.

"Why are you just standing there? Come on in."

She stepped inside, putting her slippers aside.

She pursed her lips, breathing in before saying, "I'm sorry but some eggs are broken and I forgot to bring the wallet with me, a gentleman helped me and he's moving in next, next, next door too, we need to pay him back." she said all this with her eyes closed, and in one breath as if her mom was going to run away.

Actually, it was her courage and confidence that was going to run away.

Her mom shook her head, knowing her daughter pretty well.

"It's okay, put it on the kitchen counter, then go wash up, I'll serve the dishes." her mom went back to the kitchen as Natsuki ran upstairs to her room to wash her face and hands before lunch.

After she came back, she sat on the chair waiting for her mom to be done, watching her in silence.

The silent voice of the oil splashing on the surface of the pan as her mom flips the eggs turning the golden side up. The aroma hit the walls of the kitchen, returning back to Natsuki's nose as she took a deep breath.

"Smells good, Mom." she exclaimed eagerly.

"You can eat only one. Half of the tray was destroyed. What did you do on your way home?" she scolded her but Natsuki shrugged it off, not wanting to bring the topic up again.

The food was now served, as she thanked her mom for the food before digging in.

"Ah, someone just moved in around here. Is that what you were talking about earlier?" her mom asked, taking a bite from the plate.

"Mhm, a guy probably same age as me. I saw him at the convenience store and he helped me pay for the eggs. He also has a puppy." she quickly stuffed her mouth with rice, chewing it down.

"Eat slowly," her mom warned her.

"Yes," she replied, but no progress in her speed of eating.

"Where is Kei?" Natsuki suddenly remembered as she was almost done eating.

"Did you not close the door again, Suki?"

"No, no way. I remember I did...?" she turned around only to find the sliding door half open. A small dog like Kei could easily pass through that gap.

She quickly stood up, going to wash her hands and put her dishes in the sink.

"When you go outside, take some snacks to give for the new family and say my greetings to them." her mom yelled, still not finished with her food when Natsuki gulped down the water.

"Okay, I will," she brought out the snacks from the cupboard and ran off outside with her hat and slippers while her mom again reminded her to be careful but her voice remained as an echo in her already occupied mind.

She needed to find Kei as soon as possible.

•~•~•

"Kei!" she calls out loudly, running under the shadowy trees that were lined up beside the road.

She can hear all the usual voices but not Kei. Where did that dog go after all?

"Kei! Kei! Come back!" she keeps yelling looking around here and there. She even checks the bushes of the neighbours' houses.