chapter thirty-five: wedding

A FEW MONTHS LATER

Uya's POV

Hey, it's me again. The woman with three sons and a husband that acts their age.

Our new baby, Thabani Ntsikelelo Dlamini, is now a month old. His umbilical cord has fallen so I can now leave the house with my baby.

Their aunty Ntokozo is getting married in two days so there's a lot to do.

Anyway, I'm woken up by a screaming baby next to me. I get up and take him to the nursery where I breastfeed him and put him to sleep. The reason why I'm doing this is because Ntsikelelo is in our room and he has work really early today.

After putting him to sleep, I wear a wrap sling baby carrier.

I head to my room and take Ntsikelelo's clothes out. I then head downstairs to make his lunch.

I go back upstairs and find already done taking a shower.

Ntsi: good morning, mommy.
Uya: good morning, daddy.

I say giving him a peck on the lips.

Ntsi: plans for today?
Uya: taking the boys out for brunch.
Ntsi: okay. mama, have you thought about Junior going to school?

Ntsikelelo has been talking about this for months.

Uya: I don't know, Ntsi. I don't feel like he's safe out there. I love my babies and I don't want them out of my sight so maybe home schooling will work.
Ntsi: mommy, let them grow. I already enrolled him at a good preschool.
Uya: without my consent?
Ntsi: baby...

He places his hand on his face before coming closer to me.

Ntsi: he has to go to school.

He gets dressed and leaves for work, leaving me with three kids and deep thoughts. I get up, place the baby on the couch because he's sleeping. I make the bed and wake the boys up. I take Thabani to the nursery and put him in his cot. I bathe my other two babies while he sleeps.

JJ: mommy.
Uya: yes, my baby.
JJ: JJ tired.
Uya: it's okay, you'll sleep on the way.

We are driving to KZN today, which is where the wedding will be. Apparently, the preparations are nearly done so we won't have to do much.

I dress them in black jeans, white tops and green Varsity jackets. I pair these with some white sneakers.

I make them some cereal and while they eat, I bathe Thabani. I dress him up and breastfeed him when I'm done.

He eventually falls asleep so I place him on the bed while I take a shower. After my shower, I wear a long black dress and a green Varsity jacket. I also pair this with white sneakers. I have cornrows so I just throw on a curly glueless wig.

I pack all of our bags, with the help of aunty Thandazile. She is also coming with, she is the only one that I fully trust with my babies.

After packing all of our suitcases, I pack some fruit salads, food and snacks, with some juice for my boys. Ntsikelelo doesn't eat on the road.

There will be some guards following us so I notify them and let them know that we are ready to leave.

Ntsikelelo comes back home and just changes into some comfortable clothes. We get in the black SUV and the guards follow us in their cars.

After hours and hours of driving, we finally arrive at my in-laws. By the time that we get there, it's already night so we eat, shower and sleep.

THE NEXT DAY