CHAPTER THIRTEEN

As Amara returned home for the Christmas holidays, she anticipated an onslaught of questions from her father. She had expected him to interrogate her about her time at Hogwarts, to scrutinise every detail of her experiences and achievements, and to measure her progress against the unyielding standards he had set. But to her surprise, she was met with an unexpected silence. Her father, usually a man of intense scrutiny and high expectations, offered her nothing but a strained peace. It was an unusual and disorienting reprieve, and for once, Amara found herself grateful for the lack of interrogation. The silence, though heavy with unspoken tension, provided her with a rare opportunity to focus on the grim task ahead.

The holidays quickly became a period of intense study for Amara. Her father's silence, though unsettling, allowed her to delve deeply into her research without the added pressure of constant questioning. She had managed to secure a selection of rare and restricted books from the family's extensive library: Famous Fire-Eaters, Book of Spells, Moste Potente Potions, and Secrets of the Darkest Arts. Each book represented a different facet of dark magic and arcane knowledge, though Amara found herself questioning the relevance of Famous Fire-Eaters to her current predicament. Nevertheless, she approached her research with a single-minded determination, driven by the urgency of her situation.

Amara spent countless hours in her room, her only companions the dusty, old volumes that seemed to offer more questions than answers. The air in her room was thick with the musty smell of old parchment and ink. The flickering light of her desk lamp cast eerie shadows on the walls as she poured over the ancient texts. The pages of Secrets of the Darkest Arts revealed rituals and spells that were far more disturbing than anything she had ever imagined. The descriptions of dark magic were vivid and horrifying, their implications chilling to the bone. Moste Potente Potions contained brews that could grant unimaginable powers or inflict unspeakable suffering, while Book of Spells listed enchantments that seemed far beyond her current abilities. The more she read, the heavier the weight of her father's expectations pressed down on her, leaving her feeling increasingly overwhelmed and anxious.

One particularly cold afternoon, as the winter wind howled outside her window, Amara sat hunched over her books, absorbed in a particularly complex potion recipe. Her fingers, stained with ink and grime, traced the intricate symbols on the page as she struggled to make sense of the arcane instructions. Just as she was beginning to lose hope, she heard a knock at her door.

"Amara, can I come in?" her brother Roman called from the other side.

"Yes," she responded, managing a faint smile as he entered. Roman's presence was a small comfort in the midst of her isolation, a reminder that she wasn't entirely alone in her struggle.

Roman perched on the edge of her bed, his gaze shifting to the scattered books that littered the floor and her desk. "I just wanted to check in, see if you've found anything useful."

Amara shook her head, her frustration evident in her weary expression. "Nothing I can use, at least not yet. I—I just don't know what he wants from me. I'm lost."

Roman's face grew solemn. "How did you do it?" Amara asked, her voice tinged with a mix of desperation and curiosity.

Roman's expression darkened. "I didn't, Amara. I failed. And now—"

She cut him off, her voice cracking with emotion. "And now I can't afford to fail."

Roman placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. "I didn't want this for you. I didn't want you to have to take on this burden. I was meant to succeed, not you. It shouldn't have fallen to you."

"I know," Amara said, tears welling in her eyes. "I just wish things had been different. If you'd succeeded, none of this would have happened. I wouldn't be in this position."