CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

Only a few hours after the news had broken about Myrtle's death, the students of Hogwarts were summoned to the Great Hall once again. The corridors of the castle were abuzz with anxious chatter as students made their way to the Hall, their faces reflecting a mix of curiosity and apprehension.

"Hope they found another one," Abraxas said with a careless expression, his tone light and dismissive as he strolled alongside Amara and Juliet.

Juliet groaned, rolling her eyes at him. "It's probably just information about the Hogwarts Express and how we get home."

"Oh..." Amara hadn't even thought about going home yet. The idea of returning to her father's house filled her with unease. The place she had once called home now felt like a prison, a place she wished to avoid. She knew she had to go back; there was news to share with her father, but the thought of facing him, especially with everything that had transpired, was overwhelming.

As they entered the Great Hall, Amara scanned the room for Tom. She had hoped to find him before the meeting started, but he was nowhere in sight. Her brow furrowed with concern. "Where's Tom?" she asked Altman.

Altman glanced around the Hall with a scowl. "Can't see him. He's probably off somewhere sucking up to a professor, begging them to let him stay."

Amara was about to press him further when Headmaster Dippet's voice rang out, silencing the students at once. "Please settle, students." His face, which had been sombre earlier, now showed a hint of vitality, as if a weight had been lifted. "It is with great pleasure that I announce that Hogwarts School will, in fact," he paused for dramatic effect, "remain open."

A wave of relief and surprise washed over the crowd. The professors, who had been standing with their usual composure, began to clap enthusiastically, their faces bright with pride. They turned towards the entrance of the Great Hall, where Tom Riddle stood with a triumphant smirk plastered across his face.

"Tom Riddle," Dippet continued, nodding towards Tom, "was responsible for the capture of the beast. He successfully and fearlessly apprehended the monster, and for that, he will be awarded the trophy for Special Services to the School!" With a broad grin, Dippet handed over a large golden trophy to Tom. Flashes of cameras illuminated the Hall as cheers erupted from the Slytherin students.

"Interesting that he," Juliet said, her eyes fixed on the grinning boy at the front of the Hall, "is the one who found it."

"Is it?" Amara let out a nervous chuckle. "He is the brightest student; if anyone were to solve it, it would make sense that it would be him."

But Juliet didn't let it go. "It was all rather quick. How did he find the monster? Did he know where to look? Was he the one who actually—"

Amara cut her off, feeling a twinge of irritation. "Can't we just be happy?" She took Juliet's hand in her own, her voice firm but gentle. "The school is staying open, the beast is gone, what more could we want?"

"I don't like it, Amara," Juliet said, shaking her head, her blonde locks tumbling down in front of her face. "It doesn't feel right."

Amara hoped Juliet would drop the subject, but days later, as they journeyed to Hogsmeade, Juliet's suspicions resurfaced in their conversation.

"But really, Amara," Juliet protested, "I just find it funny."

"Funny?" Amara's tone was a mix of confusion and frustration.

Juliet shook her head. "More so strange. Look, how did he know where to find the monster and the person responsible? It just doesn't make any sense."

"Juliet, you're looking far too much into this," Amara said, her irritation bubbling to the surface. She had finally managed to push aside the troubling thoughts of that night, but Juliet's persistence was starting to wear on her. "I need you to let this go. For me?"

Juliet pondered for a moment, her brow furrowed in thought. "Fine," she said with a resigned sigh, rolling her eyes. "But you owe me."

Amara felt a wave of relief wash over her. "Droobles?" she suggested with a hopeful smile.

Juliet's face lit up with a grin. "How did you know?"

With that, they made their way into Honeydukes, which glistened under the warm sun. The shop was alive with the vibrant colours of sweets and the delicious scent of sugar wafting through the air.

"Merlin, it's good," Amara said, taking a deep breath and savouring the sweet aroma.

Juliet immediately reached for a selection of Mice Pops, balancing them in her arms. "Yes, please!" she said with enthusiasm, smiling down at the mix of blueberry, apple, and strawberry sweets she had gathered. "Ooh!" Juliet exclaimed with a bright smile, "you love these!" She pointed out a packet of Glacial Snowflakes perched on the edge of the shelf.

Amara picked up a packet, recalling the sweet fizzing sugar plum taste. "You're right!"

They wandered through the shop, Juliet's arms filled with an assortment of treats—Chocolate Frogs, coconut ice, and sugared butterfly wings—all piled high in her bag. She handed over her coins to the shopkeeper, her excitement barely contained.

Outside the shop, they found a bench and settled down, basking in the sunlight. Amara felt a sense of peace wash over her as the warmth of the sun enveloped her, momentarily pushing away the lingering shadows of the past few days.

"Amara..."

The voice was faint, almost a whisper, but it sounded raspy and deep, with a familiar undertone. Amara's eyes fluttered open, her brow furrowing as she turned to Juliet. Her friend was still relaxed, eyes closed, lost in her own contentment.

"Amara."

The voice called again, clearer this time. Amara bit her lip, trying to determine where it was coming from. It seemed to draw her away from her peaceful moment.

"Juliet," Amara lightly touched her friend's shoulder. "I'll be back in a minute."

Juliet nodded, barely registering the interruption, her eyes still closed in bliss.

Amara left her bag beside her friend and followed the voice through the streets of Hogsmeade. She wandered until she reached a clearing she had never seen before. The area was quiet, the only sound being the rustle of leaves in the breeze.

"Hello?" she called out, her voice echoing slightly. "Who is it?"

Abruptly, the bushes around her began to rustle, and a tall figure emerged, moving closer. Amara squinted, trying to make out the figure's features.

"Roman..." she trailed off, her voice catching in her throat. The figure looked odd, different in some way.

Her brother's face broke into a smile, and as he parted his lips to greet her, Amara realised the unsettling truth. There, in the body of her brother, was her father.