CHAPTER TWENTY

Stepping into the Chamber of Secrets, Amara was immediately engulfed by an intense wave of nervousness. The vast, echoing space was illuminated only by the dim light of Tom's wand and her own. As she followed closely behind Tom, her heart raced with both excitement and apprehension. She was acutely aware of the eerie silence that enveloped them, amplifying the tension that lay thick in the air.

Tom, seemingly lost in a trance, stood at the centre of the Chamber, his gaze fixed on the intricate carvings of serpents entwined around the stone pillars. The dark shadows cast by these carvings danced menacingly across the Chamber's walls. Amara took a deep breath, trying to steady her nerves, and whispered "Lumos," allowing the tip of her wand to glow softly and dispel some of the darkness.

The Chamber was hauntingly beautiful in its own way. The serpentine designs, reminiscent of Salazar's Scriptorium, were both powerful and symbolic. As she moved, each step seemed to echo with a newfound confidence. The end of their quest was in sight, and she envisioned a return to her previous life—a life where her father would be proud, and she could leave behind the intricate game she had been playing with Tom. She yearned for normality, even if it wasn't truly ordinary.

Tom's voice cut through her thoughts, low and eerie. "I can feel her..." He turned towards the far end of the Chamber, his eyes narrowing. "She's here. Salazar is protecting her..."

Amara followed his gaze, looking up at the enormous face of Salazar Slytherin, carved into the stone. "Where?" she asked, her voice trembling slightly as she peered around the Chamber, her wand held tightly.

Tom's response was curt. "We need to find her."

They navigated through the Chamber, twisting and turning among the serpentine carvings. The grandeur of the Chamber seemed to stretch endlessly, with every corner revealing more intricate and foreboding symbols.

Eventually, they returned to the central area of the Chamber. Amara, still gripped by a mixture of awe and anxiety, turned to Tom. "Tom," she called out, her voice filled with urgency. "What happens now?"

Tom's face was inscrutable. "We find the—"

She interrupted him, "I mean after. After we find it—"

"Her," Tom corrected sharply. "After we find her."

"Yes, her," Amara said, her voice firm. "After we find her, what happens?"

Tom's expression hardened. "Isn't it obvious?"

"No," Amara replied, shaking her head. "How could it be?"

Tom's impatience was palpable. "I will awaken her, and she will purge the school of Mudbloods," he stated matter-of-factly.

"And then?" Amara pressed on, feeling a pang of uncertainty.

"You will speak to your father," Tom continued, his tone harsh. "You'll ensure he knows of your involvement, not mine—just yours. And then, I have business to attend to."

Amara paused, her thoughts racing. "So... do we just return to how we were at the beginning of this year?"

Tom's face was cold. "Amara, this is nothing more than a marriage of convenience."

His words stung deeply. "So, we do? Go back to before?"

"Yes," Tom confirmed, his voice devoid of any emotional warmth. "You will have gotten what you wanted out of this. You will have your father's approval. Isn't that what you craved?"

Amara felt her heart ache. She had spent months entangled in Tom's quest, and while part of her wanted to be done with it, she couldn't deny the deeper desires she had developed. "Yes, but—" She hesitated. "That was never all I wanted."