CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Amara's encounter with Tom Riddle had left her grappling with a whirlwind of conflicting emotions. As she mulled over his proposition, the weight of his request grew heavier with each passing day. The Slytherin common room, usually a haven of whispers and hidden agendas, felt oppressive in the wake of their conversation. Tom's casual yet sinister demand to aid him in accessing Salazar Slytherin's hidden chamber was both enticing and terrifying.

Tom's demeanour was smooth and composed, masking the seriousness of his intentions. The very thought of willingly subjecting herself to the Cruciatus Curse was unsettling. Her father's cruelty had already subjected her to such torment, and the memories were as vivid as ever. The idea of enduring that pain again, even with Tom's promise of a spell to numb her senses, was a significant mental hurdle. Yet, the allure of ancient, forbidden knowledge was a powerful motivator.

Days passed with Amara's thoughts consumed by Tom's offer. The ancient books she had pored over, such as Secrets of the Darkest Arts and Moste Potente Potions, had only scratched the surface of her curiosity. Now, the promise of discovering Slytherin's lost Spellbook seemed to promise answers that went beyond her current grasp. The hidden room Tom spoke of could hold secrets that might not only aid her in her quest but could also set her apart in the world she was navigating.

The night of their meeting arrived with a palpable tension. The common room was quieter than usual, with many students away on holiday or engaged in their own activities. Amara found herself in her dormitory, the silence around her a stark contrast to the chaos brewing inside her. She paced the floor, her mind racing as she tried to steady her nerves. She needed to be prepared, not just physically, but mentally for the ordeal that awaited her.

When the clock struck midnight, Amara made her way through the labyrinthine corridors of Hogwarts, her heart pounding with each step. The castle, usually a place of familiar enchantments and safety, felt different tonight—more foreboding. The hallways seemed longer, and the shadows more menacing as she approached the Room of Requirement. She could only hope that the room would be as accommodating as it often was for those in need.

As she reached the entrance to the Room of Requirement, she took a deep breath and focused on her destination. The door appeared before her, an ornate piece of wood that seemed to shimmer with a subtle, magical glow. Amara pushed it open and stepped inside, her eyes adjusting to the dimly lit space.

The room was expansive, filled with shelves upon shelves of books, scrolls, and artefacts. It was a far cry from the library she had seen on the sixth floor; this space felt more like a hidden study, dedicated to the most arcane of knowledge. The walls were adorned with serpentine motifs and ancient symbols, a clear testament to Salazar Slytherin's influence. In the centre of the room were emerald-green sofas and a large wooden desk, cluttered with various magical instruments and texts.

Tom Riddle stood by the desk, his expression a mix of anticipation and resolve. He looked up as Amara entered, his eyes scanning her with an almost predatory interest. "You're here," he said, his voice smooth and controlled. "I appreciate your punctuality."

Amara nodded, trying to mask her nervousness. "I'm here. What's the plan?"

Tom gestured to the sofa opposite him. "Please, take a seat. We'll discuss the details before we proceed."

As Amara settled onto the sofa, Tom began to explain further. "The Scriptorium is a place of immense magical significance. It's rumoured to contain not only Slytherin's personal notes but also a spellbook he wrote himself. This book could contain spells and knowledge that are lost to time—knowledge that could be crucial for both of us."

He paused, watching her closely. "To gain access, we need to perform the Cruciatus Curse on another. It's a dark and painful task, but it's necessary. I've developed a spell that should nullify the physical and emotional pain associated with the curse. You'll be the first to experience it."