Ch 18 : Gun!

Alora's p.o.v

Lifeless. That's the only word I can use to describe the dead-eyed reflection staring back at me in the mirror. My vacant eyes serve as a chilling reminder of that fateful night - the pain, the tears, the breakdown. It all replays in my mind like a relentless film reel, over and over again.

"Alora", Bruno's voice pulls me from my spiraling thoughts. "I think I left the car keys. Could you get them for me? I need to ask Luca something." He requests, and I nod, making my way towards his room. As I step inside, I take in the surroundings, realizing how much this room mirrors Bruno's personality.

Recalling my purpose, I rummage through his drawers in search of the car keys. Finding nothing, I open the second drawer, only to be met with a pile of clothes. I dig beneath them, hoping to find the keys, but my hope dwindles when I feel nothing. As I retract my hand, my fingertips brush against something cold, metallic. I shouldn't be surprised he lost them here. With a sigh, I grasp the metal object and slowly lift it. My fingers freeze, my body stiffens, and my heart races as I stare down at the gun in my hand.

Why does he have a gun? My heart pounds as a flood of unsettling thoughts rush through my mind. Why does my sweet, funny, loving, and caring brother have a gun in his drawer? I push aside his clothes, revealing the keys.

"ALORA, DID YOU FIND IT?" Bruno's yell startles me. My mind goes blank as I hastily shove the gun into my bag, snatch the keys, and dash downstairs towards Bruno's car.

"Ah, there you are. Thank you", He smiles, taking the keys from me. As I settle into the car, I can't tear my gaze away from him. Why does he have a gun? Should I confront him about it? Who else could I ask? I glance at my brother, who returns my gaze with his signature soft smile that usually melts my heart. But right now, my mind is consumed by the image of the gun. "You okay?" he asks, steering the car towards the school. I hum in response, my mind elsewhere.

As we park the car and step out, my eyes catch sight of a familiar vehicle. That's when I realize who might have the answers to my questions. I regret this already. Swallowing my pride, I stride towards him, ignoring Bruno's calls. I tap his shoulder, prompting him to turn. The first thing I see are those eyes - icy blue, lethal.

"What?" he asks, his words laced with boredom, causing me to second-guess my decision. I'm already regretting this.

"I need to talk", I state, grabbing his wrist before he has a chance to refuse. Despite his protests, I pull him towards the school and push him into the janitors closet.

"Is this our thing?" He smirks, the proximity between us suddenly apparent. His towering figure makes my heart race. "I asked something."

"What?"

He steps closer until my back is pressed against the wall. "The janitors closet, is it our thing?" he whispers.

Ignoring the goosebumps prickling my skin, I meet his gaze. "We don't have a thing", I retort coldly, causing his smirk to widen.

"Well, do you need a hug then?" He smirks, causing my cheeks to flush as I recall the hug we shared. I glare at him. "Don't", I warn through clenched teeth, eliciting a chuckle from him. 

"All you have to do is ask", He smirks, making my blood boil. "I hate you", I whisper through gritted teeth. His eyes darken as he echoes, "I hate you."

 Why did I even think this was a good idea? Ugh, why am I here? I sigh.

"You had a question, love", He smiles, causing my heart to race even more. I pull the gun out of my bag and point it at him, causing him to step back with an amused expression. "Safety's still on, sweetheart", He smirks, earning a glare from me.