Ch 10: Panic

I added a song that reminded me of this chapter, you can listen to it while reading ;)

Third person p.o.v

Panic was the only emotion coursing through Nicolo's veins. The man who had once instilled fear in others was now trembling with it. His foot pressed down on the accelerator, pushing the car beyond the speed limit in a desperate race against time. The words "Alora's in the hospital" echoed ominously in his mind. He clenched his fists around the steering wheel as he parked the car and sprinted towards the receptionist, who visibly trembled at his approach. Before any questions could be asked, Bruno appeared and led him away from the relieved receptionist, guiding him to his daughter who lay in a hospital bed, surrounded by wires and her siblings.

"I'm okay, honestly, it's not that bad," Alora reassured him with a small smile, already anticipating the question he was dreading to ask. As she sat in silence, she took in the worried expressions on everyone's faces, including Marco's. At that moment, her heart melted, and a piece of her armor crumbled. Raised by people devoid of humanity, she had learned to fend for herself because no one else cared. But now, she found herself surrounded by people who would die for her, who cared so much that they had left everything behind for her.

Leaning back, she stared at the ceiling, blinking away the pain that welled up in her eyes along with unshed tears. She wasn't ready to show her pain, not yet.

A nurse arrived, asking the Rome family to step outside so the doctor could speak with them privately - a conversation Alora wasn't ready for. Everyone waited outside for the doctor to arrive. Bruno was lost in his own world, blaming himself for not protecting his sister and letting her go, even though he had promised not to. Accidental or not, he was the reason she was in the hospital.

"It's not your fault, don't blame yourself. She doesn't want that," Marco whispered, pulling Bruno out of his thoughts. He looked at his brother, realizing how easy it was to say 'don't do this' or 'don't do that', but no one truly understood how hard it was to fight your own mind, to battle the thoughts that threatened to consume you. Sometimes, your biggest enemy could be your own mind, something you couldn't live without, but also something that made life much harder and more painful than it should be.

The doctor walked in, causing everyone to turn their attention to him. He approached with a heavy heart, unsure of how to tell a family that their daughter might have been a victim of abuse. Everyone watched him with curious eyes. "Please let me finish everything I have to say before reacting in any way," he requested, receiving nods of agreement from everyone.

"Alora will need bed rest for a few days because the back of her head was wounded, as was her back. I will prescribe some medicines, mostly painkillers, that you can give her twice a day after a meal... also," he sighed, knowing he had to reveal this, "while we were examining her back, we found some scars... scars that were likely caused by a knife or a whip. There might have been a possibility that your daughter was abused. Do you know anything about this?" he continued, waiting for an answer.

Nicolo couldn't believe what he had just heard. It felt as if someone had ripped his heart out. Marco and Alexander were filled with rage and anger. They wanted to kill, they had the urge to bury someone. Meanwhile, everyone else felt a certain pain in their hearts that couldn't be explained.

"We have to ask her about this," Bruno stuttered, lowering his head. "No," Nicolo whispered, clearing his throat. Everyone's heads snapped up, wondering why their father had said no to a question they all wanted an answer to.

"We can't-" he continued, "She doesn't trust us yet, and if we push her to tell us, we might just lose her, and I won't have that at any cost," Nicolo sighed, closing his eyes. They all knew it was true, but what if she had been abused? Then what?

Marco, who had been standing, was now sitting on the floor with his head against the wall. He pulled his knees up to his chest... his hands joining on their own as he closed his eyes.

"Dear God, the amount of sins I have committed have no reasoning... I just wanted to say Alora didn't do anything, so please don't punish her... please don't make everything we are thinking come true. God, please make her say no if we ever ask her about it. I have no right to pray, but everyone says God is very merciful... so please show some mercy. Give me all her pain, but only give her happiness. I just can't see her in pain."

He squeezed his hands tighter, hoping his prayer would come true. Wishing for some mercy. Begging for the first time in his life, he felt like one of those people they killed, and how they begged and prayed while he stood and laughed. How the tables turn. A new game of life.

Alora, on the other side of this hall, unaware of everything, slept peacefully. Peace was the only thing she found in sleep as reality was filled with constant pains. Sleep was her escape, her way of finding peace and not feeling the hollowness in her heart. Running away from that pain that couldn't be described in any words.

Life had played its game, a new turn of events. Another one of life's pathways, another one of its challenges, and another one of its surprises. One sleeps peacefully while the others lose all their sleep, one unaware of everything while others are lost in confusion. Nature finds balance, you hurt others, it will come back to haunt you or your loved one. God's justice... an entirely different court of justice.

Author's note

Hayy! Heavy chapter :0 I was listening to sad music while writing it. What's your feedback? how was it the chapter? anyway enjoy today :)

Quote of the day..

Realise that some people stay in your heart but not in your life..