Just a Casual Chat

Standing on their doorstep in the early morning darkness, I greeted a confused Mr. and Mrs. Broughton. Freshly out of bed, still in their pyjamas and robes, they frowned groggily.

      "Hello." I smiled much too enthusiastically for the hour.

      "Hello?" Ed returned the greeting.

      "I'm a little early."

      "You don't say," Mei laughed, squinting at the barely rising sun.

      "This won't be of regular occurrence," I promised. "Is Lexi still asleep?"

      "I'm afraid so," Ed answered. "And probably will be for another hour, unless—"

      "Perfect!" I interrupted.

      Ed and Mei shared a puzzled look. "Perfect?"

      "No need to wake her up. I was actually hoping to speak to the both of you."

      "Without Lexi?" Ed confirmed.

      I nodded.

      As confused as they were upon first opening the door, Ed and Mei stepped aside, welcoming me inside.

      "You want to drive our daughter across the country?" Ed asked dumbfoundedly.

     "To Saskatchewan, yes." I swallowed nervously.

      "For some University program in Regina?" Mei added.

      I nodded again.

     "But you don't want to tell us which program?" She clarified.

     "Correct," I agreed. "I'll tell you if you feel that you need to know, but I think it would be best if she told you."

      "I'm assuming Lexi doesn't know about it yet?" Ed inquired, lips twitching into a smile.

      "She knows of the program. She wanted to apply but missed the deadline," I explained. "She specifically told me not to meddle, but I couldn't help it. I believe in her... And I believe she needs this."

      Mei twirling her coffee and Ed flicking the corner of his newspaper, they contemplated my request. I waited patiently, very much aware that I was asking a lot of them.

      "What's driving there going to do?"

      I was relieved to note that the man wasn't questioning out of malice, but rather genuine curiosity.

      "I made arrangements with the secretary," I said warily. "She's going to break a few rules to let us in to meet the panel, so that I can convince them to make an exception for Lexi."

      "You convinced a stranger to break rules for you?"

      "I'm told I can be quite persuasive, and Susan believes in Lexi too."

      Ed shot me an approving smile, rubbing his hairy chin thoughtfully.

      "I think it's great you want to help..." Ed started carefully.

      "But you hardly know me?" I finished for him. "And I'm basically asking you to let a near stranger drive your daughter across the country?"

      Tentatively, Ed and Mei nodded.

      "I take no offense," I assured, suddenly rambling. "Your fears are completely reasonable, and there's really no way for me to say I'm not a serial killer without sounding suspicious. But I'm not. Obviously—I mean I've been alone with her on multiple occasions and nothing bad has happened... I'm really not approaching this well. I shouldn't have put those ideas in your head. I don't want you thinking those ideas are in my head! I only brought it up because I too am concerned for her safety—Not in my presence of course! Just other people... people that I would never allow in her presence. I would never hurt her. I care for her a lot. A lot more than you or she probably knows. But not in a concerning way! I'm just...