My Life is a Satire

Of course, this was happening. Of course, I was wrong to trust my grandfather.

       Up until that point everything had been going well. I had yet to get lost, and we made it successfully to the hotel, our trip's halfway point. As promised the hotel was well-kept and in a safe neighborhood, but grandpa had not kept all his promises. I should have booked it myself. I really should have known better than to trust him with this. Ed was going to kill me. That was if his daughter didn't do it for him first.

       Through the hotel's front windows, I spotted Lexi waiting in the car and forced a smile on my tensed face. I had suggested that she wait in the car while I got the keys to our rooms. And boy was I glad that I did.

       Still smiling forcefully for Lexi's sake, I returned my attention to the receptionist.

       "Check again," I urged.

       The curly, sandy haired receptionist narrowed his eyes annoyingly behind his glasses, pushing the frames higher up on the thin bridge of his nose. His name tag read Amir, followed by he/him pronouns. Amir wasn't thrilled to be second guessed; seemingly annoyed that I was convinced he must have read the very simple computer entry wrong.

      "The name was Scott?" he confirmed.

      "Yes. My grandfather called."

      "Leonard Scott did book a room, a single room. A single room with a single bed." He emphasized the single part, tired eyes meeting mine.

      I shook my head vigorously. "I told him to book two rooms."

      "Well, he didn't."

      "He told me he did."

       "He lied."

       Huffing indignantly, I let my head fall in my hands, resting on the service desk.

       Pushing me a few inches over the side, Amir leaned over the desk, shooting a gaze outside the window.

       "Is the brunette in the Mazda with you?" he asked. "She looks worried."

       My head shot up and sure enough I spotted the familiar creases of worried lines on Lexi's forehead. Fixing my slouched posture, I shot her another smile, this time adding a reassuring thumbs up.

       "Any chance we could switch rooms?" I asked, deciding that maturity and not mopping around would solve my problem.

        With a sigh, Amir returned to the computer. He searched for a while before shaking his head. "We don't have enough rooms."

       "Is there a way to at least get a double room?"

      Amir shook his head again. I resisted the urge to bang my head on the countertop. Lexi would not be reassured by the gesture.

      "A room with bunkbeds?" I asked hopelessly.

       Slender fingers scrolling again. "Family member?" Amir inquired curiously. "Cousin? Sister?"

      "Girlfriend."

       Amir paused his search dramatically, stepping away from the computer to shoot me a ridiculous scowl. "Then what's the problem?"

       "I promised her parents there would be two rooms. I promised two beds and I don't want to stress her out."

      Amir stared at me blankly.

      "Bunkbeds?" I prompted.

      "None left."

      "Damn it!" I groaned.