It Either Goes Right or Wrong

By some grand miracle, for the second time we passed it, Lexi didn't notice the large sign advertising the University's location. She was oblivious to the upcoming situation. She followed me aimlessly, curiously studying the building. By her calm composure, I figured she was imagining the building to be some sort of museum or exhibit. I tried not to wince in anticipation.

      As I headed deeper down one of the alleyways separating the city's many edifices, following Susan's instructions, Lexi frowned.

      "Are you sure we have the right place?" Her nose crinkled as she studied our surroundings.

     Spotting the neon pink post-it wedged between one the side door's hinges (Susan's doing), I nodded. With my back to Lexi, my outstretched hand paused, inches from the metal handle. I was torn. Torn between the satisfaction of finding the office, the excitement of potentially changing Lexi's life for the better, and anxiety towards revealing my true intentions. There was no hiding the truth now.

      Turning to face her, I swallowed. "This is the right place," I confirmed nervously. Opening the door, I gestured with my hand that she enters first. "After you."

      Lexi hesitated; brows pinched together as she studied me from head to toe. "Why are we using the back door?"

      "This was the door I was told to use." I tried to shrug coolly, gesturing again that she go ahead of me. If I managed to get her inside the building before telling her the truth, maybe I could guard the door and force her to hand in her work or remain stuck inside... It wasn't the most gentleman approach, but I was desperate.

      Lexi took a small step forward, still a foot short of the door. "Why are you so nervous?"

      "I'm not nervous." Everything about my stance and voice was nervous.

      "Yes. You are." Brown eyes narrowed to scrutinize me some more. "You keep swallowing. You won't meet my eyes and you're wiping your hands against your Jeans as if they're sweaty."

       I didn't say anything. I couldn't deny her words. I forced my palms away from my thighs and my eyes down to hers.

      "Why are your palms so sweaty, Jaxson?"

      I didn't miss the hint of accusation in her tone, as if she knew I did something she wouldn't approve of.

      Involuntarily a nervous giggle escaped my throat. "I just want you to enjoy this."

      Lexi remained sceptical.

      "Come inside," I essentially begged. "I promise I'll explain everything."

      Movements slow, features still furrowed, she did as I asked. I followed her inside, already placing myself protectively in front of the closing door, preventing her potential future attempt to flee.

      Inspecting the white hallway, searching for hints of our whereabouts, Lexi waited for an answer.

      "So..." I chuckled apprehensively. How did person A tell person B that they did the one thing they asked them not to do, without making person B angry?

      Saved by the sound of heels pattering against the marble floor, heels that were progressively getting closer, my head whipped towards the noise. I greeted the worker with a smile, shoulders tense as I waited for their reaction.

      Silver hair in a loose bun atop their head, a box of files held to a plump hip wrinkling the fitted grey skirt, the worker walked past us unconcerned. I heaved a breath of relief, until they froze, head whipping our way as if startled.