A Night to Remember

The fresh snowfall and warnings of an upcoming storm pretty much confirmed my suspicions.

      My time had officially run out.

      Even faced with a storm, Conrad refused to post-pone his party. If anything, he displayed more enthusiasm towards hosting a memorable party. Storm said to begin late in the night, only light flurries dusting the roads during the day, Conrad opted to let everyone stay over. The determination and timing of it all made me pause. I had been to many parties, but rarely during the winter. Conrad had no reason for throwing the party, no reason for wanting it so bad. I suspected the meddling of the same forces that had granted my special offer. I thought this was their way of gifting me a last chance to make memories with my newest friends. A last chance to enjoy myself before all was taken away from me. As grateful as I was for the extra day, I wished I would have been granted the same opportunity with my family and other friends. I had so much to tell them, and though the letters would have to suffice, the pieces of paper couldn't deliver my messages to the same extent that I wished. But I counted myself lucky, knowing that most didn't get the same luxury of any sort of goodbye.

       Movie-like breakfast awaiting me, I smiled at the pancakes, whipped cream, fruits, bacon, and chocolate milk, neatly placed across the table. If I hadn't already been sure of my earlier suspicions, the out of character, peppiness to my grandfather, would have been the last confirmation I needed.

       Greeted with a large smile, I laughed, shooting an impressed gaze at the table filled with food.

       "I figured you'd enjoy a big breakfast before the party," grandpa said, over-enthusiastically.

      Tone catching at the word party, I thought it evident that he was attempting to hide my approaching departure. He was doing a poor job of keeping it a secret.

      "Don't worry about it, Grandpa," I reassured, mountain of food on my plate threatening to crumble. "I already know."

      Grandpa sighed. "You'll have the rest of the day," he promised. "You'll get to spend most of the night with Lexi... I'll come get you when the time comes."

      "Thank you." It occurred to me how ridiculous my casual tone was, speaking through a mouthful as though we were speaking of the man picking me up for a dentist appointment.

      Grandpa forced a smile and turned to busy himself with the dishes. I watched him hesitate, pause by the sink for a few moments, before turning around once again.

      "Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you're in a good mood," he tried. "But—"

      "I know," I interrupted softly, smile flickering. "But I'll be okay."

      Grandpa remained apprehensive but said no more on the matter. He probably thought I was in denial. He was probably right, but I just wanted to enjoy my last day. I didn't want to waste my time on anger and regret. If that meant I was in denial, so be it.

      Grandpa stayed with me until a knock was heard from the front door, announcing the four girls' arrival.

      Walking in with bags of clothes slung on their shoulders, the four looked excited. Lexi carried two boxes of pizza on top of her things, and Angela who came in last, carried a case of coolers, enough to suffice the lot.

      "I've got more out on the porch." The blonde smirked. "These are just the pre-drinks."

      Laughing, I took a load off their hands, helping them deposit their belongings on the living room table.

      As soon as they had all taken a seat and slice of pizza, Ange handed them all a drink. I kindly declined her offer, choosing against the influence it might have on my night. This was a night I wanted to remember and remember with a clear head. I was thankful that she didn't question my decision, but I feared Conrad would put up a fight. I hoped that if I was the designated driver, the boys would let it slide.