29

Samantha

I wake up to the bright sun shining on my face, causing me to squint as I open my eyes. I look around and I'm in my childhood bedroom. I notice all of my old 90's kid posters on the walls and everything is very brightly colored.

I sit up and brush the pink canopy that hangs over my bed out of the way, taking in my surroundings. The smell of pancakes and bacon fill my nose and my stomach growls. Where am I and why am I here? Last I remember I was in my car on the side of the road.

"Mikey! Sam! Breakfast is ready!" I hear a familiar warm voice call out.

"Mommy?" I mutter to myself. I haven't heard her voice in so long. I stand up apprehensively and look down at myself. I'm still in the same clothes I was wearing today, my jeans and Nike hoodie. I walk slowly to my bedroom door that's closed and open it. I take a step out and collide with another body.

"Watch where you're going! Good morning sister," my big brother Mikey smiles to me as he scruffs the top of my head. Something he always used to do when we were younger. His room was right next to mine and he was always running down the hallway so this was a usual occurrence.

"Good morning," I smile at him, looking into his green eyes that match mine. I never thought I would be seeing his face again. He runs down the stairs to the kitchen and I follow behind him. I walk into the kitchen and see my Dad sitting at the dining table reading the newspaper, drinking his coffee. My mom is standing at the stove, making a plate of food.

"Good morning my beautiful children," my mom beams as she sees me and my brother.

"Hey mom," Mikey says as he sits down. She sets a plate full of pancakes, bacon, and eggs down in front of him and gives him a kiss on the head. The food smells so good and my stomach growls again.

"Good morning my Sammie girl," my mom smiles to me as she hands me my plate of food, and she gives me a kiss on the cheek. Her face is glowing and her curly black hair flows down her back.

"Good morning mommy," I say to her. "I missed you so much." My mom laughs and happy tears fill my eyes. My mom's laugh was always the best. It was one of those laughs that was contagious.

"Well I missed you too honey, it was a long time between last night and this morning," she jokes. Confusion fills my brain. This isn't real, I'm not really here. Mom and Mikey passed away a long time ago, this has to be a dream. I decide to just push the thoughts away and be present in this moment, enjoying the presence of my mom and brother.

I look down at the plate my mom made me and immediately start digging in. The pancakes melt in my mouth, the bacon is perfectly crispy, and the eggs are cooked over easy just how I like them. Nothing ever compared to my mom's cooking. She always cooked with so much love and you could taste that in her food.

"Slow down Sam, it's not going anywhere," my dad laughs as he peaks over the newspaper he's reading to look at me. I look up to him and slow my chewing, putting my fork down. I swallow the food in my mouth and take a sip of the fresh squeezed orange juice my mom poured for me.

"Sorry, it's just so good. Your cooking is always the best momma," I tell her. She smiles at me and grabs my hand.

"Well thank you my Sammie girl. You're always so appreciative," my mom says.

"You mean annoying?" My brother teases. My Dad backhands my brother lightly on the shoulder.

"Would you leave your sister alone?" My dad nags. I just smile and joy fills my heart. I never thought when I was younger that I would enjoy my brother teasing me but I missed it so much. He teased me all of the time but he was the best big brother. He was my protector against everything.