1

Today was the first day of senior year and I am already looking forward to the last day of school. I just want to leave and never come back. I have been going to this school for four years and I don't have one single friend, but that is perfectly okay because I genuinely despise talking to people. I'd rather just be by myself.

I finish doing my hair, letting my wavy hair fall down my shoulders. I then get dressed, throwing on a pair of white skinny jeans and a beige cropped hoodie. I grab my bag and head on downstairs only to be greeted by the sweet smell of pancakes and sausage.

"Good morning dad," I say as I see him standing in the kitchen, cooking the pancakes.

"Hey Sammie, good morning. Are you ready for your first day of senior year?" my dad asks. He is always so cheerful in the morning and I could never understand why.

"Oh you know it," I say sarcastically as I pop a piece of sausage into my mouth.

"I think this is going to be your year Sam. I think you are going to make some great friends and finally be a normal teenager. You know this is the last year you will be able to do that."

I groan internally. What if I don't want to be a normal teenager? What is wrong with me just staying in my room all the time? I'm not causing any trouble.

"Yeah dad, I'll try. You know how shy I am though," I remind him as I make my plate and begin to eat. Pancakes are always a tradition on the first day of school. My mom use to make them for me and my brother every first day of school before they passed. My mom and my older brother, Mikey, died in a car accident when I was eleven years old, and ever since it has just been my dad and me. It was rough the first couple of years, but my dad and I made it through and he always tries his hardest to make sure I am happy. He's the only person I really have.

"I know honey, but you're going to have to grow out of that sooner or later. Adult life does not like shy people," Dad says as he sits down at the table to join me. I refrain from rolling my eyes and continue to eat my food in silence. It is too early for a lecture. I finish up my breakfast and put my plate in the sink.

"Okay Dad, I'm going to head out. I love you," I say as I pull him into an embrace. My dad hugs me tight and I can hear him sniffling.

"Your mother and Mikey would be so proud of you right now Samantha. You have come so far and I know they are looking down on you right now with giant smiles on their faces."

"Thank you dad. I think they are too. I love you so much. Now let go of me before I start crying," I chuckle and he lets go of me, a warm smile covering his face.

"Okay sweetie I will be here when you get home. Have a good day," my dad smiles and goes back into the kitchen. I grab my car keys and my backpack and head on to the school.

--

I arrive at school about 20 minutes early to give myself time to know where all of my classes are. I walk up to the table outside the front doors where they are handing out schedules.

"Hi what's your name and grade?" A girl says, her bright blue eyes piercing into my green ones, her blonde hair flowing in the light breeze.

"It's Samantha Anderson, grade 12," I mumble. The girl goes through the stack of papers in front of her before she finds my name. She staples a card to the paper, which I am guessing has my locker number and combination on it.

"Here you go! Have a great first day! Don't forget to come to the assembly after school! It is going to be the best one yet!" Okay this girl is way too energetic for it being this damn early in the morning. I thank her and take my schedule.