Chapter 9 -

Author's note : This chapter is a little bit dark, creepy, and mysterious as I reveal a bit about Chance's strange origin, as well as what haunts him. The reason for his odd and sudden behavior.

Then it will warm up with a beautiful confession scene... That I spent more time on than I'm willing to admit!... : )

——————————

———(No POV)

"Has anyone spoken to him?" Rauru asks sounding very upset and worried.

Mineru shook her head gently. She was just as worried too. Gently rubbing the short fur on her left arm while shifting her stance gave away that fact.

They and two maids stood by the door to Chance's room. A door that has remained sealed for everyone for two days, even the two maids who were supposed to clean his room haven't gotten in.

"And neither of you have seen him come out?" He asks the maids again, even though he knows their answer. They both shook their heads and apologized.

"It's alright... You are free to go" He nods to the two maids. They bow and leave.

Rauru turns back to the door, frowning heavily. His foot tapping slightly showed how worried he was.

"I'm going in" He says assertively

"I will come with you" Mineru says worriedly

"No... You should stay. I will talk to him alone and resolve this. It's been two days with whatever is troubling his mind. I have a feeling it might involve you, so better not to ruin anyone's mood today. I'm sure everything will be fine, Mineru"

Mineru nods, barely hiding her concern.

When Mineru told the royal couple what Chance had nearly done, they were shocked by her explanation. Since Mineru was in a state of panic while she described what occurred, they had to calm her down—assuring her that she might've misread the situation. While it did sound like he was heavily upset, they didn't believe that he was truly suicidal.

He was a sincere and strong man. No doubt was in their minds that he was being risky, almost certainly. He did have a daring side to him. But to end his life so suddenly and unexpectedly... No, they didn't believe that. Not once had they seen any strange or upset behavior from him since they met.

They'd managed to calm Mineru down with this. Her emotions were probably just high-strung due to her important engagement proposal.

But Chance hadn't shown himself to anyone for two days. Now that certainly was cause for concern. Rauru and Sonia would have tried talking to him much sooner, but they had been pulled away by important business for the upcoming banquet.

Rauru nods at her and tries to open the door. A green circle appears, stopping his effort and surprising him. Chance even managed to put a lock on the door. He never even told him about the function of the device he gave him, so he must've figured it out himself.... It was no wonder nobody was able to get inside. They would have to break the door down to get past this level of security...

Raising his hand to the door, the circle flashes green again and disappears, overriding the lock Chance put on it.

         The wooden door creaked open, slowly revealing the room. It was dark inside, with all the heavy curtains drawn closed, blocking every bit of sunlight possible. Despite the rest of the castle being lit by white light, the walls inside were covered in dark shadows. An eerie smell seemed to permeate the room, yet it somehow was still undetectable to his nose. Almost like a phantom sense was alerting him of it.