Chapter 3: The Decision to Confront

Nearly two weeks had passed since I had last laid eyes on Ivan. In that time, I had acquired a wealth of information about him, thanks to the insights provided by Kayden and Eli. Eli had taken on the role of communicator with the outside world, as my ongoing physical weakness kept me confined indoors. The more I learned about Ivan, the more I realized the profound differences between this unfamiliar era and the time I truly belonged to.

I couldn't deny that I didn't belong here, but I couldn't let go of the opportunity to have the life I had always yearned for. There was no one left waiting for me in the time I truly belonged to, making this a unique chance at a fresh start.

As I contemplated my situation, Eli's voice interrupted my thoughts.

"Cass?" she called out to me.

"Yeah?" I responded, my attention turning to our conversation.

Eli's revelations about Ivan had left me feeling conflicted. "First of all, Eli, he's not my husband. I don't even know him," I emphasized, intentionally leaving out the detail that Eliza had shared about our arranged marriage, a strategic alliance between our families' kingdoms.

Eli paused, choosing her words carefully. "Despite his imposing exterior, there's a softer side to him."

My frustration welled up again, and I sighed, the weight of my circumstances bearing down on me. "Eli, I can't do this," I admitted, grappling with the complexity of my situation.

Eli reached out, her touch offering comfort and understanding. "Shh... I understand, Cass. You've expressed your reservations countless times, wrestling with the unfairness of deceiving Ivan, allowing him to believe you're his wife while withholding the truth. But, realistically, do you think he'll ever accept the story of time travel that brought you here?"

Her words struck a chord with me, forcing me to confront the daunting challenge of convincing Ivan that my predicament was real.

"So, what do you suggest I do?" I asked, recognizing the wisdom in Eli's advice.

Eli met my gaze with a blend of empathy and determination. "Stop avoiding him, Cass. Make an effort to get to know him. Kayden has confided in me that your apparent indifference has been tormenting Ivan, pushing him to the brink of despair."

I sighed once more, fully aware of the gravity of my choices. Eli's guidance was clear: it was time to face my predicament head-on, to bridge the gap that had formed between Ivan and me. It was a daunting task, fraught with uncertainty, but I could no longer evade the consequences of my presence in this time.

Before Eli could respond, one of Eliza's attendants entered the chamber with a message. "Lady Eliza, King Ivan has requested your presence."

I couldn't help but be surprised by this revelation. "What's this about?" I inquired, my curiosity piqued.

Eliza sighed, her demeanor a mix of understanding and resignation. "He calls me every hour to inquire about your condition."

The shock of this revelation momentarily silenced me. However, after taking a deep breath, I made a resolute decision. "Well, then, take me to him," I declared, recognizing that the time for honesty and confrontation had arrived. It was now or never.

Eliza looked at me with concern, seeking assurance. "Are you sure?"

With a firm nod, I summoned my courage, ready to face Ivan and begin unraveling the mysteries that bound us together. Eliza helped me make my way to his royal chamber, each step bringing me closer to a pivotal moment in my life.

I knocked on his royal chamber three times, and upon hearing his invitation to enter, I pushed the door open. "Hi," I greeted, standing at the threshold of his royal chamber, the anticipation and uncertainty heavy in the air as we stood on the verge of a crucial encounter.

Author's Note:

As Cassandra's journey unfolds, she faces a crossroads filled with secrets and uncertainty. Her bond with Eliza is her anchor, and confronting Ivan will shape her destiny. Join us as the story unravels, and thank you for being a part of this adventure.

Warm regards,
Ivory