Chapter 13

After Kate confirmed her relationship to her father he instituted an open door policy while Emaline was in the house. He insisted it was only fair as he would do the same if she was dating a boy.

Kate and Emaline still enjoyed the break with each other and learned to become even sneakier with their affection. They hadn't made it past second base but that didn't matter. It wasn't the focus of their relationship, which was an entirely new concept to Emaline and she loved it.

Emaline cherished Christmas. It was her favorite time of the year. She loved the shows, plays, caroling, and over the top decorating. It was also the one time of year she could count on her parents actually remembering her existence. They would usually surprise her with a grand gift, with or without their presence.

Emaline wanted to get Kate the perfect gift. It was their first, of hopefully many, Christmases together.

Kate wasn't the stereotypical girlfriend. Her affection couldn't be bought with simple flowers or diamonds. As Emaline had seen, Kate wasn't into fashion either. Her simple and sometimes outdated clothes made her that much cuter in Emaline's eyes.

Emaline decided to go to the mall. She spent hours walking around each store. Nothing felt right. She had thought about buying Kate a movie or CD but she wanted something unique.

Emaline took a break, sitting down in a massage chair, munching on an Auntie Anne's pretzel. She looked up feeling defeated and then she saw "Claire's." It was the only store she hadn't been into because she really didn't feel like Kate would want jewelry. She slowly got up and went into the store knowing she had nothing to lose.

She perused the jewelry and finally saw it. It was a small golden necklace with a clapboard pendant. Emaline held it in her fingers and thought back to filming the movie together. She smiled at the thought of their almost kiss, their heart to hearts, first dance, and finally first kiss. The film brought them together. The necklace was the perfect gift and reminder of where they started and how far they've come.

She purchased the necklace and decided to get it engraved as a finishing touch. "There's no way Kate's gift to me can beat this." She thought to herself with a grin.

---------------------

Kate used to enjoy Christmas immensely before her mother passed away. Since then it was always a sad reminder of their family's missing piece.

This year felt different. She was looking forward to finding the right gifts, specifically for Emaline, and enjoying all the festivities with her girlfriend. She no longer felt alone.

Emaline and her had planned on doing the obvious Christmas dates like the annual tree lighting, ice skating, checking out Christmas lights, etc. Kate was excited at the thought of so many special moments they would have together.

She wanted their gift exchange to be just as memorable. Kate thought back to the gifts she had enjoyed receiving and really only one stuck out which was the concert that Luke had taken her to in Portland.

Kate flipped through the events section in the local newspaper. There wasn't anything interesting which was par for the course in a town called Boring. So, she grabbed the phone book and flipped to the yellow pages. She dialed the Keller Auditorium in Portland and listened to their upcoming shows message.

"A Christmas Carol, the musical, coming on Friday December 13 and playing nightly at 7pm until December 29. Weekend matinee shows at 2pm." The voice boomed over the phone.

Kate's heart jumped in her chest. She ran to her dad and begged him for his credit card, promising to pay him back, and agreeing to book a matinee show. She purchased tickets for Saturday the 21st at 2pm. She could barely contain her excitement.