Chapter 5

Finally, it was the day of the dance. Kate was excited to get to spend time with Emaline again, uninterrupted. The last few days at school had been busy with midterms and the girls had barely gotten to see each other besides their few stolen moments at lunch in the stairwell. Those thirty minutes kept them going.

They had agreed to meet at the dance. Kate's dad was spending Halloween night at the O'neils, passing out candy, and watching Luke's horror flick marathon. His only requirements for his daughter were to have fun and call when she got home.

Kate donned the black robe, the Scream mask, and wielded her plastic knife. She looked in the mirror, it wasn't the costume she would have chosen but she would choose the girl who picked the costume a thousand times over. She lifted her mask off. She fixed her hair for the tenth time and applied her cherry chapstick. She thought to herself, this is it, your first dance with your girl. She smiled to herself and ran down the steps and out the front door to meet her girl.

Emaline had gotten to the dance early, which was weird since she never arrives anywhere early. She was nervous about the dance; she wanted to make sure Kate had a great time and they were safe. Maybe she shouldn't have suggested the dance she thought to herself; she remembered how people had jumped on spray painting Kate's locker with "dyke" on it. Just as Emaline's nerves were starting to get the best of her she heard, "Hello, Sydney," in a demonic voice over her shoulder. Emaline turned and could tell it was Kate in the Scream outfit. Emaline giggled, "My character is Casey, not Sydney, that's the other girl in the film!" she said playfully as she shoved Kate.

"Oh, my mistake, I should probably have watched that movie again." Kate sighed.

"It's okay, I like correcting you, but I'm going to have to think of a punishment if you keep getting things wrong... hm, maybe you owe me a kiss for every movie reference you get wrong?" Emaline winked.

"Deal! What was the name of this movie again, Shout?" Kate smirked.

"Oh, you're bad, Messner. I see what you're doing!" Emaline flirted.

"Well can you blame me?" Kate whispered as she hugged Emaline. "You owe me two kisses, but who's counting anyway," Kate said suggestively.

Emaline tightened the hug, "Oh I like you, Sweetie, I like you a lot."

Emaline then grabbed Kate's hand and led her into the dance. The lights were dimmed. There were at least ten other Scream masks in attendance. Emaline stood out with her "blood" covered sweater and her cordless phone in her back pocket. Of course she was always one of a kind no matter where she went.

Emaline led Kate to the dance floor. This was their second dance together. This dance, while not on a private stage like before, still felt intimate. Only Emaline and Kate knew they were dancing together. Emaline's arms were around Kate's neck. Their bodies were touching this time; there was no empty space. They wanted to be as close to each other as possible.

"The only thing wrong with your costume is that I can't kiss you," Emaline whispered. "It's okay, we have all night," Kate said cheerfully. "We do?" Emaline questioned. "Well, my dad is staying at the O'neil's house tonight so if you wanted to come over and spend the night you could, but if you don't want to that's fine too. He just told me this afternoon or I would have brought it up sooner." Kate started to ramble quickly. Emaline steadied Kate's face, "Hey, I would love to spend the night. I may have to borrow some pj's or .... Sleep in the nude, I guess..." Emaline teased. "um ... either way is fine," Kate mumbled. Emaline's smile grew sneakier, she loved teasing her girl.

The girls danced every song, fast and slow. Emaline led the dances as Kate admitted she wasn't really a dancer. Emaline asked why she agreed to dance then and Kate admitted because she had a massive crush on the girl who asked her. Emaline couldn't have been happier. She was finally understanding what a healthy relationship looked like - there was compromise. Kate was doing things because Emaline had wanted to do them, and Emaline did things because Kate had wanted to. They respected each other and cared for one another. This was the first healthy relationship Emaline had ever been in.