Chapter 4 - The funeral

Preparations were made. Johnny Doggs was making sure we had enough weapons and ammunition, while Curly and uncle Charlie were making sure that every peaky had a gun with bullets in them.

Ada was putting a rose on the trailer for John, while Linda but a feather on it. I put a letter with all the things I wanted to say to him in it. Ada wrapped her hand in mine and pulled me towards the rest, ready for the funeral. I was standing in between Ada and Finn. Finn said to Charlie "We're like sitting wops here" whereas Charlie responded with "Yeah, well Tommy said we should do it in the open". I looked confused at Tommy and wondered why. With is paranoia over everything I thought it was odd for him to have us that vulnerable. Tommy began "This is how John wanted to go" I got tears in my eyes and was absently listening to Tommy's speech. "Jeremiah said we should sing 'in the bleak winter'. We'd all remember-". Polly interrupted "that god spared you, but what did you do with that extra time he gave ya Thomas?". I looked at the both of them annoyed that they had to do this at Johns funeral as well. Arthur put the fire one and the trailer was set on fire, the flames going higher and higher. John was there, my brother gone. Turned into ash. I was clenching Ada's hand tightly trying to hold meself together. And not break down crying, mourning him. *Gun shots* Everybody ducked down, Ada pulled me down while Finn covered my body with his. The only ones standing were Thomas and Arthur. The men pulled guns out ready to shoot at any threats when Tommy yelled "at ease at ease. Do not return fire. I repeat do not return fire. Stand down. The men doing the firing are on our side". Tommy looked at everybody and said "I took the trouble getting an invitation to Aberama Gold". After that was a blur Johnny looked stressed. I just felt betrayed. Again. Thomas did what Thomas does not telling anybody. Putting everybody at risk for what? Can't I just fucking mourn my brother in peace. I felt a storm building in me. "Finn go to the yard and light the fires" Finn hesitated looking at me, but he relaxed when he saw Isiah behind me. I heard Polly shouting at Thomas asking who died and all I could do was stare at him in disbelief. "Curly get a boat ready for the city. And another boat for anyone, who wants no part of this. Because this is how it's going to be, Polly!" Thomas yelled. He fucking used John's funeral as a beacon. I can't believe this, he's a cunt I felt so much anger in me that I had to release it. I walked towards Thomas he looked at me intensely trying to read my expression. It was stoic, until I reached him almost touching him. I gave him a sweet smile which confused him and punched him hard on the nose. I heard a satisfying crack and blood started spilling out of his nose. Everybody was in shock not knowing what to do. Arthur yelled "Jenny stop it!". I felt two arms around my waist restricting me from doing anything more, not that I was planning to. I stared Thomas down with my death stare, while Linda said "I'm not staying for this" and walked away ignoring Arthur wanting her to take the keys for their house. Ada grapped them and followed Linda from doing something stupid. Following Ada's disappearing figure I noticed men on horses approaching us. When I looked closer I noticed a boy around my age on one of the horses. He's pretty. Different than the guys from around here. He intrigued me. He looked at me and tipped his hat at me. Tommy's voice broke my stare "Jenny go home, relax. I'll come visit you later". "Fuck off" I said pushing the one restricting me. Tommy looked at him "Isiah make sure she goes home safely and doesn't go anywhere else". I rolled my eyes at him "what am I? A dog?" Walking away from him taking one last look at the foreign boy. He was trying to hide his smile and sneakily looked back at me when Aberama started talking to Thomas about the bodies.

I walked into my house Isiah following me closely. Rolling my eyes at his behaviour i said "I'm home now. You can stop being so clingy and leave". Isiah looked at me "no, he said make sure that your home save and nobody is here so I need to be here for protection". I looked at him with a cross look "So you're saying I can't take care of myself, huh?" I said putting my hands on my hips looking at him awaiting his answer. Isiah stepped closer to me and held up his hands "no. Ofcourse you can you're a Shelby. But I don't want to risk it". "Ohw I see you're scared. Well don't worry about that. Lucky for you I've got nothing better to do until the dinner soo.. come on!" I pulled him by his sleeve towards my room and pushed him on the bed. "Woah, I mean if you want to I don't mind" Isiah said smirking laying down. I rolled my eyes and clipped his ear "no, you cunt. My dress is dirty because of the surprise dive into the mud. And I need to make sure I look good". "But you always look good with or without mud". "Well that's very sweet of you Isiah, but that isn't going to get you out of choosing a dress for me". Isiah groaned "but you always take ages to pick a dress". "Please Isiah, don't act like you don't enjoy seeing me in different dresses". I started pulling black dresses out of the closet and showing Isiah the options with the desired jewellery. He gave me great feedback and after half an hour I had on a clean dress with some jewellery.

 He gave me great feedback and after half an hour I had on a clean dress with some jewellery

I made sure my hair and make-up still looked good. I put a little more lipstick on and was ready to go. While I was walking with Isiah as my escort I said "See it wasn't that bad". He bumped our shoulders together and said "I guess seeing you look even more beautiful is my reward for the torture I just went through". Rolling my eyes and smiling softly we carried on chatting until we reached Charlie's Yard. I saw Thomas walking to Polly trying to have a chat. So I went over to the girls who were sitting together at the table. "You look good in everything, it's so unfair" said Lizzie. "Well hello to you too Lizzie. What happend to common courtesy?". "Well when you look that good and got all the boys staring at you it is absolutely normal" said Lizzie. "I don't have all the boys staring at me" I said rolling my eyes at her. "Well Isiah can't keep his eyes away from you-" Lizzie said when Ada added "And the Gold boy had his eyes on you the moment you walked in here". "That's two guys not all". "Well that's two more than me" said Ada. We all laughed at that, when Thomas sat beside Lizzie and asked what we were laughing about. We all stopped laughing and me and Ada said at the same time "your ugly face". Me and Ada looked at each other and started giggling, while Thomas rolled his eyes and smiled slightly reminding him of their childhood. "Why did you change your dress? Who are you trying to impress?" He looked annoyed. Rolling my eyes, which is an instant reaction I have whenever I'm close to Tommy, i told him "Well big brother, because of your little stunt today my dress got ruined by mud. Therefore I had to change.". He replied with "Send me the cleaning bill of it". "I don't need your help or offers or whatever this is. I can handle it myself. Well it was lovely seeing you girls again, but I've had enough of Thomas for a day so I'm going. Bye". I turned around not waiting for a reply and walked away of course being followed by Thomas his stupid little goons.