Chapter 8

I woke up at around eight in the morning and quickly walked to the bathroom to get ready. Today was the party, my sweet sixteenth birthday party and it had me excited. So much so that I could not sleep for the first three hours and woke up multiple times. But now I was wide awake and getting ready.

     After brushing my teeth, I hopped in the shower, making sure I got rid of any grime and sweat. I was a clean person, but today being a special day where all the attention would be on me, I could not risk smelling bad at all. 

     After showering and changing into under garments and putting on a long robe to walk around, I headed to the kitchen. Where mother was cooking me a birthday breakfast. On my birthdays she always made funfetti pancakes, maple bacon bits to spread on top, and made her cream cheese frosting to put on the pancakes instead of syrup. She served the food and began singing after lighting a candle and placing it in the middle of the pancakes. "Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Margaret! Happy birthday to you!" She kissed my cheek after I blew out the candle, "Happy sixteenth birthday, I love you so much!" 

     I smiled as I stared at the pancakes, "To the moon and back." I grabbed the fork which laid on the right side of me and began to cut the pancakes. Mothers' homemade pancakes from scratch were so fluffy and full of flavor. They did not dry out and kept the moisture and fluffiness throughout the day. I enjoyed eating the pancakes, savoring them with each bite and thinking about how the day could only get better from here.

     After we ate our breakfast in a comfortable silence, we washed the dishes, then went into the bathroom so she could style my hair. Mother was not a professional, but she knew how to do basic hair styles. And because she used a lot of the money for the party, I decided to choose her to do my hair and makeup instead of a professional. It meant she would save a lot more money, and though she assured me she had enough money for all of this, I chose to be an economical wise person. Having her do my makeup and hair would be better than a professional as well, I would carry around something of hers throughout the day.

     I had chosen a wavy hairstyle and two braids on each side of my head which would connect and turn into one. I had grown out my hair for this particular hairstyle and would cut it the next day. I love my hair being short, around chin length, with layers. But in order to have my dream hairstyle, I grew it out for a whole year. 

   The whole time I watched from the mirror as she picked up one strand and curled it, letting it drop down a beautiful curl only for her to brush it out to make it wavy. I watched her grab a strand of hair and intertwine with another to make the braids that shortened as more strands were intertwined. It was relaxing to see how majestically my mother styled my hair.

     When done, mother grabbed her makeup bag and began taking out the makeup she would need to accomplish my look. The color palette for my party was light green and to make sure it matched with the color scheme, mother and I chose a dead green for eyeshadow and a nude lipstick. So, she put on foundation, concealer, then my nude lipstick, filled in my eyebrows using a light brown eyebrow pencil, grabbed the dead green shade we chose and put eyeshadow on, making sure to wing it at the end. After she finished with the eyeshadow, she used an eyeliner and winged it at the end to match the eyeshadow. The makeup took almost two hours, making sure everything was perfect and no mistakes were made or would be noticeable. 

     "You look perfect!" Mother told me as I looked at myself through the mirror.

     I admired my look and complimented her, "You did so good. Thank you, mom!" 

     "Now we should head over to the venue and make sure everything is set up properly!" 

     I nodded and went to grab my dress which hung on its own corner where nothing would touch and ruin it. After, we got into the car and drove half an hour to the venue, which was in the forested mountains, close to a lake. The perfect venue for my nature theme that I chose. A beautiful view when outside and it would just be us for a good mile. It would be calm and relaxing apart from the loud music and talkative guests that would cause the forest to shake as the party would begin and end.