Chapter 21

'It's father, but why? Why would he tell Nathaniel that does people are vile? He created us to stop sinners so why would he want to destroy his creation and let sin worsen?' I couldn't wrap my head around the reasons why he would want to rid of the species he created. But I knew I would find out soon; going through the portal, we paid the faun for the dragon ride. The whole ride was silent, just us and our own thoughts. We were all terrified of confronting my father, and we were all too scared to speak more about our accusations.

     We landed at the castle, and we walked in, I in the front and the other three behind me, scared and hiding the best they could. Father opened the door to the right of us and greeted me, "Hera! How have you been? I'm so glad that you're here; Eleni has begun crawling. Oh, you should see her... crawling around like the speed of light." He laughed and stopped just a few feet in front of me. Seeing my team behind me, his smile dropped, "Why are they here?"

      Sensing the fear of the three, I decided to do all the talking. "I still can't believe this..." I began while clearing my throat, "We were assigned to stop people from torturing humans... the people ran a facility, Langston Facility."  I watched his expression when I stated the name, wanting to see any slight change of his facial expressions. But he stood there stoic, not even his eyes flinched. It was hard for me to tell if he knew about this or not, he didn't seem confused at first which I deemed a good sign. I said they were people, so it's not out of the ordinary for him not to react. "So, we go inside and try to help put an end to the torture... But it turned out that we were wrong. The facility tortured demons, not humans; found out because they captured and tortured me." I sucked air through my teeth; painful for me to remember it.

     His expression switched slightly, almost unnoticeable. His eyes moved just slightly, and he almost sucked his lips in but stopped, just a twitch of the lips. His hands which rested on his sides clenched and he put them behind his back.

      Noticing this I accused him, "I wondered how this was possible. How a building ran by humans could torture us and not be stopped the moment they first captured one of us. And then it clicked... You built the place to find a way to kill us." My tone shift from accusatory to it breaking and a lump began to form, "But... why?..."

      He stared at me which made me uncomfortable. He stared right into my emerald eyes for a long while and then his eyes shifted away. I noticed a tear begin to form but not fall, no. He did his best not to cry.  He was my father and I trusted him; I still do. I grabbed his hand and clasped it, "Why dad?" 

      Looking at me and smiling, he cleared his throat, "I created you guys to stop the evil which had been placed upon humans by Gods needing entertainment. It made me so happy when I saw you guys killing the evil and cleansing the world one by one. It made me so happy that I had a beautiful family and when work ended, I could go back to them. Everyday made my day.

     "Then, Persephone grew jealous of our children. She hated Clio for loving Dea, and she hated me for not hating Clio. She decided that if only Kaija stood by her side, only because she was forced too, she would leave. That day broke me... No longer did I have something to look forward to after work.

     "Of course, my kids made me happy, but without my family whole, it left me broken. I wanted to turn to my brothers for support, but they had shunned me out the day I decided to create you guys. I began hating you guys... I began hating everyone in the world. 

      "Humans who were saved by you guys only to become evil themselves. Humans who were saved by you guys and had all the joy in the world. Demons who were always happy and proud of their work, their families, their lives. 

      "That's when I decided that I wanted to return to Olympus and go back to the life I had lost so long ago. But I couldn't if you guys still existed. I needed to get rid of you guys but I couldn't bring myself to do it with my own hands. I hired humans to find a way to kill you guys... I thought that maybe, just maybe, my witches had created you guys with a fault. A way to kill you."