Chapter 19

"We're not going to get anywhere with the question, so let's move on! Birthdate?" 

     "February 13, 2001." 

     "Wow, answered super fast!" 

     He wrote down my birthdate and I quickly realized that I answered quickly because I hadn't lied about my age. Then, everything came together like a beautiful puzzle piece. This facility is not to capture humans but to capture demons and figure out what we are. Others who are way older must have done some math to figure out when they would be sixteen or around that age because we all look sixteen. But because I was caught so young, in order to get my age right, I just had to state my actual birthdate.

     "Can you please tell me who was the president when you were ten years old, in 2011." 

     Without having to think about it I answered, "Barack Obama." I was grateful to have been in school and taught this in order to answer the question. However, I wondered if I should be lying about this information, other demons had no clue how to answer these and it made sure the facility knew that they did not know the answer for a reason. But I, who knew these answers, would only confuse them. Confuse on why I knew these answers and if I was different. I decided to do that, trying to get them off their trail through change.

     "What grade do you start middle school?" 

     "Sixth, sometimes seventh. But I started middle in seventh grade." 

      "Finally, at what age do you graduate high school?"

      "At eighteen." 

     His eyes lit up as he wrote down my answers, delighted yet interested on why I was, most likely the only one, who knew these. I was a bit overconfident now, I smiled egotistically. I was fucking up their research and they had no idea why.

      "Who are the other three who joined you in raiding our facility?" He asked going over to pick up a pick. The pick was thin and long, and he placed it on my sternum, facing my belly button.

      "Their names?" 

     He nodded.

      "Esther Bosko, Robin Hernandez, and Fairy Jackson," I lied fairly well, wanting to throw him off. If the others had non-Greek names, then his whole theory about all demons having Greek names would collapse.

     He pierced my skin and blood gushed out, rolling onto my side and on the metal table. "Were you never taught to lie?" 

     I smiled awkwardly and embarrassed. I never learned how to lie, except when it came to my father. It was the only lie I could say with a straight face and think of excuses on the spot. When I answered his question, I could not control my smile and my eyes refused to look at him. I didn't notice at first because I was too busy coming up with names on the spot. "Fine... Ajax, Rhea, and Gaia. No last names." 

     He smiled and took out the pick, watching my wound heal, "The only one with an English name. Does it feel lonely to not have a Greek name?" 

     I shook my head, "Not when I'm not Greek."

     "Oh? So, they are all Greek? We thought so, we just needed confirmation." He wrote that down in another piece of paper.

     I didn't think that through, but I hoped that it wasn't enough to help them discover us and the Greek Gods. I don't think it was, how would they identify Gods through my non-Greek, fake name.

     "If you're not Greek, where are you from?" 

      "America... My ancestors from long ago came from the UK."