Chapter 14

Ajax and I walked up the stairs and Gaia closed the door as she turned to look at us. "Seventeen-year-old boy is with his girlfriend of same age." She walked, alongside us three, through the kitchen and to the door which had all the weapons we would need for this task. "He hit her last night and left a slight bruise. She is in danger; boyfriend is beginning an argument with her."

My first task ever was a domestic abuse case and it made me wonder if this was given to us on purpose. I told myself it most likely was and it was done for me to be more comfortable with killing someone. But because I related to this, I didn't want to kill him, I wanted him for my basement. He would be my first person to be put in there.

Ajax grabbed a pistol and two cases with bullets in them, the spare one he put in his back pocket. Gaia grabbed a bat and Rhea grabbed brass knuckles which she held both in her left hand. I quickly scanned the assortment of weapons and chose my favorite weapon, a knife. I chose a fully black switchblade and grasped it with my right hand.

     Training with Ajax made me realize that the weapon I was most comfortable using and thought it was fun to fight with, was a knife. Lots of control over it as it would be held tightly in my palm and I could cut or stab someone. Lots of choices with what I could do with a knife.

We exited the house and got in the car, I sat in the back seat, drivers' side. Ajax was the driver, Rhea in the passenger seat, and Gaia in the back passenger side. As we sped our way to the house, I asked Ajax why he chose a gun. Remembering my theory and wanting to see if I was correct with the assumption.

"With the correct aim, gun, and bullet, a lot of pain can be inflicted. Long lasting pain."

I sucked my teeth, saddened by the incorrect assumption I had made. I looked to Gaia and asked if she liked a slow and painful death, which she smiled and nodded.

"Guns and knives can kill someone even if you are precise. But weapons like these-" She raised up her bat and stared at it, "-can break bones and skin without ever causing death."

I nodded, noticing that both of them liked to enjoy inflicting pain but using different methods which opposed the other's thoughts. Then I looked at Rhea, "And you Rhea, why you did you choose those."

"As much of a sin domestic abuse is... I rate it fairly low on my chart of pain and torture. I want the others to do the most work and I just hit the guy if he gets too close."

Ajax looked at me from the rearview mirror, knowing this was a sensitive subject and wanted to see that I was not hurt by her words.

I just nodded, not hurt by her ranking this so low. It was true that other things were way worse, and I knew that even though she didn't think it was as bad as the rest, she still knew pain had to be inflicted. Which is why she wore something that wouldn't kill, but instead damage profusely, and she let the others kill the sinner by what they deemed just. "Don't kill him. I want him alive." I laid back comfortably and stared at the window, watching all the cars and buildings go by.

Ajax stopped at the apartment complex, near a building which he said was where the young couple was at. Because they had been arguing, one of the fairies came to warn us, it meant that things would have escalated by now and we would need to hurry before the girl got seriously hurt. We grabbed our weapons and hid them, closing and locking the car doors, and heading up a flight of stairs to the apartment number.

Rhea went up to the doorknob and skillfully opened the locked door with a lock pick. It took only a few seconds for her to open the door, doing it quietly as well, and we went inside the small apartment. It was decorated with a wooden cabin feel to it. There was tree trunk furniture, taxidermy heads, and a fireplace with a few logs in place.