Chapter 1

I grabbed my favorite Barbie doll from my toys chest and carefully sat her on the carpeted floor. She had been placed next to my 1985 tropical doll which my mother had given me on my third birthday. It was her doll before passed down to me; her mom bought her the doll on her tenth birthday. I grabbed the already prepared tea set and sat down with my dolls. As I handed them their cups and began serving the hot sugar water mother made, I announced, "Teatime Michelle and Wendy! I hope you enjoy this as much as I enjoy it!" 

     I had named my dolls Michelle and Wendy after my favorite show, "Devin and the Princess." A 2005 show that had been running for two years, it would run for its third season this winter. The show was about Devin, an astronaut who found a strange planet where a Princess called Delilah lived. Once there, their adventures would consist of fighting the evil creatures who wanted to take over the kingdom, as well as trying to reunite her with her long-lost family.

     Chugging the water, I lifted the small teacups which had been placed in between my Barbie's legs and made them drink. Once I had finished, Michelle's and Wendy's teacups were given to me. "Thank you so much ladies for finishing!" I exclaimed joyfully and drank their water.

     Putting the cups away in my pink and white box I heard the door open. It was dad, he had returned from his night out. He immediately started shouting, whilst slurring his words, "Rossetta! Rossetta where the fuck are you?" 

     Mother cautiously spoke to him, "In the kitchen. I'm just finishing washing the dishes!" Although mother did not want dad to cuss when around me or inside the house, she feared what he would do if she ever reprimanded him. Instead, she would always remind me never to cuss; it was rude and showed one had no manners. 

     Dad stumbled through the living room, almost falling on the brown leather couch. He made it to the kitchen. "The place is filthy! Can't you ever do one thing, right?" He said bitterly, almost disgusted. 

     Mother dried the dish which she had rinsed off the soap just moments prior and put it away. "I am so sorry dear; I was busy making dinner. Time must have slipped from my mind." She said looking at the clock in the stove: 9:30 pm. Shit, she thought to herself. She really did let time slip her mind. She was certain he had just gotten home earlier than usual. 

     Screaming from dad ensued. The first thing I did was lock my bedroom door and sat back down with my dolls, "Don't worry! He won't hurt you. I locked the door." I began brushing Wendy's hair, trying to steady my hands. The screams got louder, and mother joined. She kept her voice from screaming yet talked louder in order to defend herself. 

     "Don't worry Michelle, I'll brush yours next," I assured as my mind slowly blocked out the shouting. The noise no longer clouded my mind, that was until I heard a thump and a cry from mom. I looked at my locked door, terrified of dad remembering my existence. Grabbing my dolls, I stood up and hid inside my closet. Squeezing the life out of those dolls, closing my eyes, and crying. 

     Another cry from my mom, then she began shouting, "Stay away! Stay away from her!" Her voice pleading louder as dad walked over to the small hallway. "Margaret don't open the door! Mommy's alright, don't listen to dad!" 

     My grip intensified and my silent tears turned to shaky breaths and sobbing. Dad grabbed my doorknob and tried turning it. It jammed and he began to pound the door, "Margaret! Let dad in!" He said trying to sound calm. When I refused by staying inside the closet he raised his voice, "Open the fucking door you bitch!" 

     The pounding continued and my mother's hysterical screams only got fainter as dad told her to, "Shut the fuck up and let me see my daughter!" I stayed in the closet until the tears stopped and my eyes got heavy. I fell asleep; brain ignoring everything around me.