Chapter I: Broken Silence

Ey everybody!! Welcome to my first ever x-reader fic!

Also, the song will make sense by the end of the chapter.

I hope that it meets all your greatest expectations!

You look out over the immense starry void that surrounds the floating island of pale-yellow stone that you call home. Your long, thin black legs dangle over the veil of nothingness, and your bare, four-toed feet sway to and fro. It is completely silent. Tall, thin stalks of chorus grow in a thick grove behind you, blocking your thin black silhouette from any intrusive eyes. This is where you go to find peace, where no one can judge you for your appearance.

	And you are decidedly different than most Endermen, not by too much, but enough for it to be annoyingly noticeable

And you are decidedly different than most Endermen, not by too much, but enough for it to be annoyingly noticeable. You are only twelve, but the adults don't even bother to hide their stares when you accompany your mother to the marketplace. You know you're strange, but they could at least try to pretend you're normal, for the sake of your self esteem if nothing else.

But here, with only the quiet twinkling beauty of the void sky for company, you finally feel comfortable. Free to let your thoughts roam to wild places, like the incredible adventures in other worlds that your mother reads to you at night. Here, you can imagine that you are the epic hero, the leader, the best fighter in the world. You dream of all kinds of stories and live a hundred lives in the span of a few breaths, all while sitting on this ledge. Here, is your peaceful oasis, away from...

"Y/N! Y/N!!!" a distant voice shouts your name, breaking the blessed silence that wraps around you like a comforting cloak. You sigh, and stand up, taking one last minute to stare off into the abyss before turning to find the source of the shout.

You weave through the thin purple stalks that you know so well, bare feet treading almost silently on the smooth, cool, stone beneath you. The chorus grew so close together that you have to squeeze sideways through some of the gaps. You don't mind though, the untamed chorus forest adds to the solitude you feel in your quiet place.

After a minute, you come out of the grove, into a cleared area close to the center of the mid-sized island. There, Ktarll is looking for you. Ktarll is your neighbor, and the closest kid to your age on the island. You suppose you could call him a friend, but you really only interact with him because your parents are friends. You know from the strange looks he gave you that he thinks you're weird.

"Your mom is going to be looking for you. Our parents are taking us to the marketplace to buy new clothes for Becomings Day. Remember?" He explains briefly, then turns towards the direction of your house, obviously expecting you to follow.

You don't want to go to the markets. You don't want to have dozens of eyes staring at you like some freak, whispering about you behind your back. You don't want new clothes for Becomings Day, you don't want Becomings Day to happen at all. Anxiety overtakes your senses, just thinking about the event you've dreaded for most of your life. Your vision blurs and your hands shake, but you quickly try to snap out of it and follow Ktarll before he looks back and sees you in this state of panic. You have to stay strong.