Chapter IV: Finders Keepers

Hello, everyone!

I forgot to let you guys know sooner, but I publish this story once a week.

I also started another story to attempt to avoid getting burnt out on this one. You can find it on my account or possibly in the search. It's called Herobrine in Highschool, and I will try to update it once a week, but it's not my priority so updates will fluctuate with my inspiration levels.

Enjoy!

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

You sit on the endstone floor of your quaint square house, eating dinner with your family. Chorus fruit. That is all that grows on the desolate end islands. Unless someone wants to pay for something from another dimension in the Market, they eat chorus fruit. You don't mind the monotony though, it's all you've ever known. In fact, the concept of having to pick what to eat is confusing. How would you decide?

"Have you heard about Keeper Kralh?" Your mother asks your father, which snaps you out of your thoughts. What's going on with the Keeper?

You father, who is sitting in front of you to your left, nods after taking a bite, "Retired didn't he?"

"Yes," your mother, who was sitting opposite of him, responds with a thoughtful glance at the high ceilings. "Thankfully his term was rather uneventful."

"Indeed, the tournament is in three days, right?"

"I believe so."

Little do your parents know how raptured you are in their conversation. Usually you zone out during meals. But this time their light chatting has your full attention.

The Keeper retired.

The tournament is in three days.

You had just turned seventeen yesterday.

You are eligible.

Your mind reels at this possibility. Could this be it?

Ever since your Becomings Day five years ago, you have been training daily with Inst. Tkeerah. To your surprise, she stuck with her commitment, even years later. She is an amazing teacher and an unexpected friend. She has helped you uncover many new secrets about yourself.

Not only are you pyrokinetic and fire resistant, you also could teleport, albeit short distances. Your average is about the maximum of a blue's range, so about thirty blocks. You definitely don't have the endurance of a Blue though. About five teleportation and you're shot. But hey, it's something.

You have a couple other obscure abilities that go along with your dragon flame. The same way a dragon can charge crystals with their fire, you can do the same on a smaller scale. These crystals act as power reserves that you can use for emergency teleportation after your exhausted, or for healing if you get injured. All in all, pretty cool stuff.

But also not very useful in daily life. You still have to use the relay station which is annoying, and not many people need fire in the End. Overall you feel kind of useless.

But the tournament might change that.

The End Keeper is the only high-ranking position that anyone can be eligible for, as long as they are over seventeen and under one hundred. It is hardly an easy position though. The Keeper handles anything that pertains to Endermen outside of the End. This includes but is not limited to, alliances, negotiations, extra-dimensional laws, extra-dimensional law enforcement, invaders, and if it comes down to it...