Chapter V: Calm Before the Storm

Welcome again dear readers!

This is a bit of a suspense chapter, because the next one is going to be wild!!

Enjoy!

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

You nervously tangle and untangle your long fingers, your eye beating fast, and glowing red through your black shirt. It is rather annoying. Ever since you unlocked your powers, your eye emits a glow from your chest whenever you are nervous or excited. Right now you are a little bit of both. A lot of both.

You stare up at your name on the tournament board. You had signed up the day before, and have been practicing almost incessantly. Your mother finally made you sleep, saying you would need your strength for the big day. You don't feel ready at all. You are going to be up against seasoned fighters, most twice your age. The only thing going in your favor is that no weapons are allowed. It is a test of pure power.

Your eyes wander the vast list of names written in black on the yellow stone wall. Several other Endermen, most likely your opponents, surround you, peering at the first-round match-ups.

"My, this one is going to take awhile. There's at least enough to last a week." One of the older Endermen beside you comments.

"You know that it won't last that long. Half of them will drop out." Another responds, and the first gives a thoughtful nod. Many other similar conversations are happening all around you, banishing any attempt silence makes to cover the Arena hall.

You yourself are tempted to drop out. How can you possibly win? Even if half the contestants drop out, you will still have to defeat over thirty Endermen in hand-to-hand combat. The thought sends a cold shiver down your spine.

As your softly glowing red eyes roam the seemingly endless list of names, they land on something familiar.

Ktarll Lyrith.

Ktarll is entering too? Something about fighting someone you know makes the whole ordeal even more terrifying. Thankfully, his name is fairly far away from yours, so there is a good chance one of you will get eliminated before you have to fight.

You don't recognize the name listed beside yours, the one to be your very first opponent. Tarkii Hert. The board doesn't list age or occupation or eye color, so you really know nothing going into this.

Suddenly, you realize that the Endermen around you are dispersing, and your anxiety peaks when you realize the first duel is about to start. You tear your eyes off the names on the wall, and hurriedly make your way down the long hall that leads all the way around the vast Arena.

The Arena is the only building on the Council Island open to the public, and even so it's rarely used. During war, it could be used to house refugee Endermen, or to execute traitors. Otherwise, it is only used for the annual Great Renewal festivities, and, of course, Keeper Tournaments.

At the thought of the Great Renewal, the immediately recognizable voice of the monotone narrator begins droning in your head: "Long ago, before Endermen crossed into the End..."

You groan softly, you and everyone else has heard that same story year after year after year, and yet they continue to drill it into your heads at every Great Renewal. You have the entire thing memorized, word for word, all in that ear-grating monotone voice. You will never be able to forget it, which you suppose is the point.