Chapter X: Conversations

Heyo, my Edgelings!

This chapter includes the one and only p0tat0-g0ddess . I have been reading her stories since I was 10 and she has been my idol, role model, and mentor through all of my writing projects. Thank you so much for being an amazing writer and person!

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

Your vision swirls with dozens of sparking purple vortexes as you step back through the portal, once again entering the stuffy heat of the Nether.

As the dark red Netherrack fades into view, your first thoughts are of how Herobrine's injuries are fairing. He was so weak when you left, would he even be alive when you got there? Considering he hadn't died from the wound in the first place, his death from the aftermath was unlikely.

The Endermen you had commanded to stay and guard the portal duck their heads to salute you as you stepped through the obsidian frame. They hold their iron sickles at ready, prepared for any attack. You smile your approval.

"Return to the End and resume your duties there, my fellows. Remember to disable to portal when you are back on the other side," you repeat the orders the Council have given you.

They gaze at you in surprise. "You are staying here Keeper?" Irah questions, concern written on her features.

"Yes," you answer, a look of grim determination set on your features, "The Council has deemed it necessary for the activities of the new Nether ruler to be monitored and his origins investigated."

"Shouldn't you have a least a couple guards here to aid you?" She asks.

"Since he has shown no aggression towards me when I am on my own, the Council has decided it would be best if no one else becomes involved." The word 'endangered' replaces the word 'involved' in your head, but you are trying to soothe your comrades fears, not heighten them.

It feels rather nice that they care about your safety.

"But if the portal is disabled, how will you be able to reach out for assistance if needed?" Herlii ponders.

You sigh. That would be the biggest downfall to this arrangement. "The portal will be reopened once a week so that I can report back to the Council. If things go badly before the portal opens, I will go seek assistance from a Netherian Ender community." And hope they help, you silently add. Endermen in the Nether were notorious for resisting Council rulings, so they may or may not decide to assist you.

Their worries finally satisfied, the last of the guards step through the portal, back to the End. You are momentarily jealous, and have to again remind yourself that you are the one who chose this. You stand there before the portal for a moment, waiting.

Then with the sound of shattering glass, the portal breaks, frame and all disappearing into nothingness.

You feel a spike of anxiety shoot through your stomach, making you slightly nauseous as the reality of your situation sets in. You're trapped in the Nether.

You take a deep, shaky breath, squashing your emotions and choosing to focus on your plans for the week ahead. You hope Herobrine will be in good enough condition to talk. You have a set of questions already planned out.

You get lost in your mind as usual while you walk over the highly elevated land surrounding the lava ocean, moving steadily towards the fortress.

What was he? How could survive such wounds in the first place? Why did he look so much like a human?