twenty-one, far away

"NOW, THE LOGICAL choice seems to be to seek out White Canary again," Remiel mused, leaning back against the wall. "But at the same time, that always poses a risk. If she thinks we're onto her, she might do something drastic."

"No, give that a little more time," Cecily said with a shake of her head. "There has to be some kind of correlation between White Canary and the Yuannan Mountain Sect."

"A negative relation, I think, from what Seraphina said," Remiel frowned. "But if that's so, why not kill me directly?"

"If it's some kind of recent grudge, she might simply not blame it on you," Dick pointed out. "You won't be responsible because you're not part of the sect."

"That's not how things work," Damian scowled. "With clans like this, it's blood feuds. Doesn't matter if you were involved or not. If you're blood related, you're guilty. That's how it works."

"Damian, we've never worked with the sect before, have we?"

Damian shook his head. "They're not big enough to be worth our time. Don't think they operate outside China either."

Daniel was furiously typing away on the keyboard. "There's actually quite a bit of stuff on the sect I can find, but almost nothing on White Canary. Let's start with what we do know about her. Family?"

"Master Huang is her father. He's dead."

"Natural causes, or murder?" Daniel asked, tilting his head.

"Natural causes," Damian answered for her. "Nothing fishy there as far as I'm aware. And she's responsible for the deaths of all her brothers. That's all known family. I doubt she knew her mother."

Daniel paused. "Right. That's the end of that trial, then."

Cecily sighed, pushing his chair out of the way and settling down before the computer herself. "Known victims?"

Damian looked deep in thought for a moment. "Her brothers?"

Cecily turned and cut him a sharp glare. "You are not being helpful."

"Could they be related?" Remiel asked with a frown. "Check Master Huang's background. Look for anything that he and the sect might have in common. Being in the same place at similar times, monetary transactions, anything."

It took a little while. But finally, Cecily came to a pause. "So... here's something interesting."

"What is it?"

"It's recorded here that Master Huang and Shan Yang—your father, Remiel—studied under the legendary martial artist Ru Chan in their youths. Not much is recorded about it, but there's a Chinese news article about Ru Chan shortly before his death where a Huang Ji, which is Master Huang's full name, and Shan Yang are both mentioned as his former students."

"So Master Huang knew my father."

Damian tilted his head. "I think it makes sense now."

Dick was the one who filled in the gaps for poor Daniel. "White Canary is killing members of the Yuannan Mountain Sect. Master Huang and Shan Yang were both students under the same master for a while. Let's assume they have a positive relationship. Shan Yang is later ousted from power and killed by his brother, who takes over the sect. Now, if the two men were friends..."

"White Canary would be taking vengeance for my father," Remiel murmured. "But why now? It's been years, and I doubt she'd have known my father. Master Huang's last wishes, perhaps? But it's been years and years."

"Something happened. But what?" Cecily asked, eyes narrowed.

"Could it be my entry to Hong Kong? It might have alerted her to my presence, and if she looked into my background, if she was aware of the Yuannan Mountain Sect and knew what my parents looked like, she might have been able to deduce my heritage." Remiel leaned back. "So why's she coming after me?"