Chapter 30

6:05 pm

"...and straight ahead should be your ladder to freedom," Pops declared over the phone. Taking a right turn like the old basset hound had instructed, the group sighed in relief when they saw a ladder leading up to the streets above. "We're saved!" Mel and Buddy howled, racing towards the ladder. Following close behind, Chloe muttered into the phone, "Thank you Pops."

"Any time Rhonda, I'll see you soon. Love you," Pops replied before hanging up. Making a face of disgust, Chloe climbed up the ladder. Poking her head out, the tabby cat could feel the rays of the afternoon sun warming her face. Clambering out of the sewers, she sat down and muttered, "Thank goodness we're done with that ordeal."

"Yeah. Ugh, I'll never be clean again," Mel whined. Stretching his legs nearby, Buddy murmured, "My feet are killing me." Flopping down on the sidewalk, Tiberius rasped, "I want death." Glancing over at the red tailed hawk, Buddy mumbled, "I think you need to see a therapist." Looking up at the dachshund, the hawk replied, "I think you might be right."

"Guys, focus. We need to get home," Chloe meowed. Looking around at the buildings surrounding her, she hummed to herself and stated, "If it's the afternoon and the sun is that way, I'm guessing that's west. We wanna head downtown which is south." Nodding his head in agreement, Buddy pointed north unknowingly and declared, "And so we head south." Chloe facepawed.

"Look, it's Ozone! Maybe he can help us!" Mel yipped. Not even bothering to move, Tiberius grumbled, "This day keeps getting better and better." Confused, Chloe and Buddy looked in the direction Mel was pointing. Sure enough, there was the Alley Cat leader himself. And he seemed to be searching for something. "Chloe," Buddy whispered, "Do you think Ozone is also in this game?"

"You mean like he's one of the ones hunting us down. Oh yes, yes I do. Mel, don't call the freak of nature over here," Chloe stated. But it was too late. Jumping up and down while waving his paws in the air, Mel barked, "Ozone! Hey, Ozone! Hey man! How are you?! We're over here!" Lifting his head, the hairless cat stared at the gang in shock. "Where have you guys been? We haven't seen you three in hours..." Ozone's voice faded as his eyes widened. Then they suddenly narrowed to slits as the feline hissed, "YOU!"

"Huh, what?" Tiberius mumbled, finally lifting his head. Seeing Ozone in the distance looking pretty angry, the red tailed hawk jumped to his feet and cried, "Oh no!"

"Oh no? What's oh no?" Chloe questioned, turning to Tiberius. However, where there was once a red tailed hawk, there was empty space. Now completely bewildered at this point, the remaining three members of the group looked down the road. Jumping onto the back of a taxi, Tiberius screeched, "RUN!"

"Get back here you son of a gun! I'm gonna kill you!" Ozone's angry yowl sounded. Looking back behind them, Chloe and the dogs saw the Sphynx cat running straight towards them. And he wasn't alone as a sea of Alley Cats popped out of their hiding places. Her tail puffing up like a bristle brush, Chloe meowed, "Mel, Buddy! Run! Come on!"