14- Be prepared

Kyllian chucked off his blood stained shirt and changed it for a clean one. It was one of the shirts they had looted from the highway.

"Do you know what happened to Daryl?" Leland asked his son.

"Apparently he got thrown off the horse and fell down a ridge. Got struck by one of his own arrows on his way down."

"Hmm. That's good." He nodded.

"Good? He could've died."

"I feared he ran into people and they had beat him up." Leland explained it so nonchalantly. "Him falling is the better option. It's an accident that could've happened to all of us."

"You know, dad, I sometimes worry where your mind goes."

"I think we always have to expect the worst now. That way we're always prepared." He said with a simple shrug.

"Okay. Whilst you worry about our hosts being secret cannibals, I'm going to eat dinner."

Leland chuckled and followed his son towards the farmhouse. Lori and Carol had made their hosts dinner as a way to thank them.

Dinnerparties were a slither of the old world Kyllian found himself strangely excited about. It had never been his type of thing before the world ended, but he'd thoroughly enjoyed the fish fry they had at the quarry camp. Maybe it was just the sight of many people alive and well. Although he would never make the mistake of people splitting up into the night again, that price was too high to pay. Their hosts seemed to think about things a little differently. Kyllian's conversation with Jimmy this afternoon had proven as much. Maybe it was because they hadn't had to see the same things as they did.

Inside the farmhouse they found Beth watching over Ashlyn again. Kyllian helped them set two tables for dinner and as soon as the tables were set they started. Daryl was the only one who didn't attend, he was too injured to do so. For everyone else the dinner was the perfect chance to mingle and get to know each other.

It was as good as Kyllian remembered the fish fry to be. It was oddly normal. Life was good. They hung around the house after the dinner for a while before they headed back to camp.

"So, she slipped you a note, huh?" Kyllian taunted Glenn. At the moment he didn't mind living vicariously through Glenn, it was more entertaining that way.

"You saw?" Glenn asked.

"Dude, everyone saw." He laughed. "It's a miracle Hershel didn't notice. Or he didn't want to notice."

"Was it really that obvious?"

"Might've been less obvious if you were both giggling like school children. "

Glenn shoved him. "You're just jealous." He fumbled with his hands. "I asked her to meet me in the barn later tonight."

Kyllian cocked a brow. "The barn? We're not even allowed to come near it. Even when I needed those tools to work on their tractor. Hershel had Beth get them for me."

"That's why it's perfect." He insisted. "No one will come look for us there."

"If you believe so." He shrugged.

"Are you jealous?"

"No." He shrugged again. "I just think Hershel has a personal reason for not wanting us there."

"Guess I'll figure it out." Glenn laughed.

"I guess you will."