018. confession.

A small spoiler for this chapter, is the title of the chapter (; ꒪ö꒪)

-

Park Chaeyoung looks at him, brows knitted together in confusion at his words. 

"Don't pick up... please, just this once."

She wonders what it all means, as the phone continues to ring in her hands, the two just staring at each other in silence. Her eyes linger on his, searching for some kind of answer—anything, really. 

But she doesn't know. 

"Wh—what do you mean?" Her words are soft, closer to a gasp than an actual statement.

But he doesn't reply.

Jeon Jungkook doesn't give her an explanation, instead, he takes the phone from her hand and turns it off completely, only then placing it on the middle seat between them. Her eyes widen, looking at him in confusion before looking at her phone (which had been turned off). 

"Jungkook..." she says his name, seeking some sort of answer, some sort of clarification for the pure confusion in her head.

But he doesn't respond.

Instead, he turns his head and looks out the window, as though the woman beside him didn't even exist. 

And for the long ride back to the Blue House, all she could feel in her stomach was pure confusion.

For a moment, it crosses her mind that perhaps—he'd felt something for her—the way he opened the door for her, the way he helped unpack the food for them to share, the way he held her head as she fell asleep.

But then again, she remembers that it must be impossible, for a man like him, who had his entire life planned, to like someone as messy and uncertain as her.

-

Jeon Jungkook hates himself. 

He knows exactly what to say when the woman that he adored—Park Chaeyoung— asks him, yet not a single vowel can leave his lips and speak. Jeon Jungkook on one hand wishes to just hold her by the shoulders and kiss her, to show her how he felt greater than words, yet on the other, he knew he had too much to lose. 

Her friendship. 

Her skills and craft in the office.

And most of all, he can't accept the fact that he'll lose to a man who is richer, likely smarter and much taller than him. 

Hell, even Park Chanyeol had a voice deep enough to reach the centre of the earth! 

So he sits in the silent car ride looking out at the window, drowning in his own misery, thinking that he really does need to get his life together.

-

Jeon Jungkook doesn't look at her once the entire meeting, but even she is on edge as she sits in the back of the conference room, listening to negotiations taking place, as well as the insights given by the security team.