Sweet Words

The next morning I awoke, slightly hung over. I groaned and lifted myself from bed.
My mind struggled to recall the events of the night before. Then, as I saw Astarion, memories flooded back to me in a wave. I cringed as I remembered spilling my emotions to him.
'Why am I like this?' I rolled my eyes.
I walked over to him, ready to explain myself. As I approached, I noticed he examining something.
Astarion held the mirror in his hand, and gazed into it, longing to find something. I glanced at the reflection. All I could see was me in it.
"Looking at something?" He asked.
"Just looking. What are you doing?"
"I'm looking too, but not seeing much. Another quirk of my affliction," he said.
I frowned. Someone as vain as Astarion would hate that.
"Do you miss seeing your face?"
"Preening into a looking glass? Petty vanity? Of course I miss it. I've never even seen this face. Not since it grew fangs and my eyes turned red."
"What colour were they before?" I asked.
"I don't know. I can't remember," he said quietly.
I watched him, heart aching. It would break me to forget my own eye colour.
"My face is just some dark shape in the past. Another thing I've lost," he threw the mirror on the ground.
I examined him, silently.
"What?" He asked.
"I'll be your mirror. What do you want to know?"
"I want to know what the world sees when they look at me. What you see."
I thought for a moment.
"I see the creases when you laugh," I said.
"Excuse me? I'm an eternally young vampire. Not your doting grandmother. You can do better. What else?"
I laughed, then continued "that dangerous smile."
"Very good. Now just tell me I'm beautiful and we can call it a day."
A smile grew across my face, "you're beautiful."
"Mirrors aren't much use, but being reflected in someone else's eyes? Well, I could do worse," he smiled at me.
We stared at each other in silence for a moment.
"How are you feeling this morning? After last night," Astarion spoke.
"A bit queasy but I'll survive."
He laughed, "I hope I cleared up any anxiety you had."
"You did. I'm sorry I was such a mess."
"Don't apologise. You're allowed to be. Just because you're our leader, doesn't mean you have to bear the weight of it all silently."
"Thank you," I said.
"Well we best be going. These brain parasites won't cure themselves," Astarion said.
I nodded, and left to get dressed for the day.

————

After entering the Shadowlands, we found ourselves at the Last Light Inn. It was a cosy little place even though it was surrounded by such a hospitable environment. I had the delight of meeting a sweet little cat.
"HISS!" it said, staring at me with its big eyes.
It was the cutest thing I'd ever seen, despite being completely hairless.
"MEORAWR" I responded.
Sure, I could speak to animals but was funnier if the cat didn't know that.
It hissed at me louder.
Astarion drew his lips close to my ear, "well at least you purr for me," he whispered.
My heart fluttered. In that moment, I'd never wanted a man more in my life.
I tried to hold my composure, we were around Lae'zel and Shadowheart. Although, I failed miserably. My face grew red and Astarion watched gleefully. I'd get him back for this later.

We made camp for the night. As I pitched my tent Astarion approached.
"Do you have a moment? I think we need to talk," he said.
Alarm bells rang in my mind.
"That doesn't sound good."
"It's nothing terrible, it's just -.... well, maybe it's a bit terrible."
I frowned, remaining silent. He was making it sound horrible.
"Look," he signed. "I had a plan. A nice, simple plan - seduce you, and manipulate your feelings so you'd never turn on me."
I crossed my arms. Why was he telling me this all of a sudden?
"It was easy - instinctive. Habits from 200 years of charming people kicked in. All you had to do was fall for it."
I could feel my face tense even harder. I was incredibly foolish. After all my anxiety, he actually had managed to convince me, that maybe he liked me. I remained silent, wondering what the best way to yell at him would be.
"And all I had to do was not fall for you......" he hesitated. "Which is where my nice simple plan fell apart."
My face softened.
'Did he just say what I think he said?' I thought.
"You-.... you're  incredible. You deserve something real, and I want us to be something real. Seeing how hurt you were the other night made me realise that."
I analysed his face, how could I tell that this was not just more lies?
"Were you even attracted to me? Or was it all a lie?" I asked. I had to know if what he said was true.
"Of course I was attracted to you. Look at you for goodness' sake! I wasn't lying when I said you were the first person I slept with in a long time that I actually enjoyed being with. You're a vision. But you're so much more than that. I don't know what to think, and I don't know what I want."
I examined his facial expressions. He was tense. I could tell Astarion was stressed. Maybe he was being sincere. Shadowheart's words rung in my mind. I decided to throw caution into the wind.
"I care about you. Deeply," I said.
"Really?" His expressions softened.
That's when I knew. Astarion mean't every word he was saying.
I smiled, then approached him slowly.
He watched me confused.
I wrapped my arms around him and finally closed the distance I was longing to.
Astarion hesitated for a moment. I could sense his shock. Then, he returned the hug. In that moment, I felt safer than ever.
When we finally parted , he spoke, "you... you're full of surprises, aren't you?"
His lips curved into a smile.
"Honestly, I have no idea what we're doing, or what comes next," he took my hand in his.
"But I know I want this. This is nice."
I smiled. His eyes shifted to my lips, and mine to his.
"Can I kiss you?" He asked.
"Of course you can."
He smiled and touched his lips with mine. I wrapped my arms around his neck as I kissed him harder. Astarion hugged my waist. I felt warmth and security envelope me.
When our lips finally parted, I giggled.
I could sense the eyes of the entire camp on us.
"Stay with me tonight?" He asked.
I hesitated.
"Not sex. Just stay here, with me," he clarified.
"Of course I will. I can be your little snack too," I laughed.
"Sounds delightful," Astarion grinned.
Happiness flooded me as he held me in his arms.