The Drow

I stood in front of Moonrise towers. We were finally here. Would this be the end of our journey? If so, what would happen to Astarion? Without the tadpole, he would become a slave once again. I turned to Astarion.
"Ready?" I asked.
"As I'll ever be, I guess."
We entered the towers, and had free reign. They assumed we were part of the Absolute. I wandered through main hall. It was becoming clear they were strong in numbers. There was a room to the left of me, I entered and found a laboratory of some sort. Potion bottles and jars of ingredients littered the tables. An alchemist stood, examining their work.
I approached them, wondering if they sold any interesting potions. They shifted their attention to me as I approached.
"Araj Oblodra, trader in blood and the sanguineous arts. It is a pleasure to stand before a true soul and your pale companion.
"Why are you interested in my pale friend?" I asked a tad defensive.
"Please, you think someone in my line of work wouldn't recognise a vampire spawn if they saw one?"
I stared at her. What exactly was she getting at?
"Look do you have anything of value to offer or not?" my tone expressed annoyance.
"I can offer my assistance. Just a little prick of your blood I can give you an interesting potion."
I debated it for a second. What was the worst that could happen?
"Fine," I said, holding out my hand.
She took a needle and pierced my skin. I felt a sharp sting on the tip of my finger. Araj dropped my blood into a potion bottle and swirled it around.
"There we are. All of your best traits in a bottle, use it well."
"Thanks..." I said, and took it from her.
"Although, perhaps there's one more thing we can discuss; your friend."
She stared at him.
"Oh don't worry, we're all friends under the absolute. I don't bite," Astarion said.
I looked at him. I don't think he realised her tone didn't suggest terror. Araj was curious.
"Oh, I'd prefer if you did," she said, then turned to me, "I assume he belongs to you."
"Excuse me? He's his own person," I said, growing angrier.
"I'm sure he really believes that. How utterly adorable."
"What the fuck is wrong with you?" The more she spoke, the more she pissed me off.
"Tav, it's alright darling," Astarion said.
"Do you have a name spawn?" She asked.
I rolled my eyes. How degrading could someone be?
"Astarion," his tongue slipped, "but hold on...-"
He fumbled as he realised he responded to being called a spawn.
"Good. Now, Astarion, I've dreamed of being bitten by a vampire since I was a young girl."
'Is she really going to ask what I think she is?' I thought.
"I'm sorry. You want to be bitten?"
"To feel your life's blood slipping away? To dance on the edge between life and death? Yes, I want it. I'll even compensate you - a potion of legendary power that forever increases the strength of the one who consumes it. It's not for sale, but it's yours if you bite me."
"I will have to decline," Astarion said
I exhaled in relief. While he was free of Cazador's now, I did worry what he'd force himself to do for the sake of others still.
"Excuse me? This is a once in a lifetime opportunity and you're squandering it," she said.
"I gave you my answer," Astarion said.
"Can't you talk some sense into your obstinate charge?" She turned to me.
"He said no. There's nothing more to discuss," I frowned.
Araj scoffed.
"Let's go," I said, and we turned to leave.
"Thank you, I appreciate it," Astarion said.
I smiled, however it made me incredibly sad that he even thought to thank for me that. It was his decision, not mine.

That night at camp, I sat by the fire, eating some porridge. The shadow cursed lands we shrouded by darkness, making it hard to grow food. Our rations were wearing thing. Astarion came and sat beside me.
"Did you eat?" I asked him.
He nodded, "just some vermin I found."
"There's not a lot around here is there?"
"No," he signed.
"Well you can drink from me then."
"Are you sure? I've drank from you most nights we were here. You're beginning to look a little pale," Astarion said.
"I'm just tired," I smiled. Of course having my blood drained daily was weakening me, however I wasn't going to allow him to drink from rats again.
"Okay. I wanted to talk to you. Can I steal you away for a moment?"
"Sure," I gave my porridge to Scratch, I wasn't hungry anyway.
Astarion took my hand and guided me to the lake beside the Last Light Inn.
We sat down on the shore.
"What's up?" I asked.
"I wanted to thank you for what you said to that vile drow. I spent 200 years using my body to lure pretty things back for my master. What I wanted, how I felt about what I was doing, never mattered. You could have asked me to do the same - to throw myself at her, what I wanted be damned. But you didn't. And I'm grateful."
"You don't have to thank me. I don't want you to do anything you don't want to."
"Thank you," he took my hand.
"Astarion, stop thanking me. You're your own person. I'm so glad you stood up to her. Truthfully if you didn't, I probably would've lost it at her," I said.
"You did seem pretty angry."
"I was furious at the way she referred to you just because you're a vampire spawn. And asking you to bite her? As if it's an honour to be bitten, especially after degrading you so much," I could feel the anger welling up again.
"You really care about me that much, don't you?" He asked.
"More than you know...." I said. I couldn't say those three little words.
Astarion gazed at me. I could feel my heart melting. How could anyone look at me so lovingly knowing I almost killed them the other night?
"Drink from me," I said.
He smiled, then leaned in an kissed me. His lips lingered on mine for a few moments before he moved them to my neck.
Slowly Astarion sunk his teeth into me, and drank. My head went fuzzy quickly. I didn't tell him to stop. I needed him to know how much I cared. Then, the world went black.
I awoke to Astarion pinching my cheek.
"Ugh," I groaned rubbing my cheek.
"I told you, you were too weak," he said quietly.
"I didn't want you to go hungry," I sat up.
"Oh darling, you should've told me. The last thing I want is to hurt you."
"And I just want you to be happy...."
"That's sweet but I don't what it to be at any cost to you."
I nodded, then buried my face in his chest.
Astarion wrapped his arms around me and kissed my forehead.
He signed.
"I love you, you know," he spoke.
I pulled back.
"Are you messing with me again?" I asked.
He smiled, "not this time."
I laughed, "I love you too."
Astarion kissed me again, more passionately than before. There was no sinister undertone like last time, no anticipation of sex. It was just Astarion, wanting to show me how much he cared. In that moment, my problems melted away.