Chapter 16

Penelope sat alone at the table as Giyuu left to brew some tea.

All of her previous confidence and bravado had now vanished into thin air. She blushed furiously as her actions repeated themselves in her mind.

For heaven's sake Penelope! You met him after three years! You could've tried to strike up a conversation, but no! You just had to kiss him and show him just how desperate you are!

She hid her face in her palms and continued cursing herself.

Giyuu also blushed hard in the kitchen.

Idiot.

"Here you go." He said, handing her the cup.

"Thank you." She smiled. She watched as he sipped his own tea before bringing up the topic discussed with Oyakata-Sama.

"Oyakata-Sama asked me to join the Demon Slayer Corps."

He paused before frowning. "But.... you don't know how to use a katana."

She then spoke softly. "I found out that I'm a wizard a few years ago. Shinazugawa-San witnessed me killing a demon and probably told Oyakata-Sama about it."

His eyebrows shot up. "Wizard?"

She nodded. She placed her open palm in front of him and bubbles of water erupted into being, floating in the air. "I can use magic. Killing demons is a lot easier this way. And it gets the job done faster."

He looked at the small bubbles in awe. "So you can make water?" He glanced at her.

"Yes. But I can also do lots of other things to." She said as the bubbles were replaced by dazzling flames. She then pointed at the flower pot nearby. The bud immediately bloomed and Giyuu stared at the sight in awe.

His expression hardened slightly. Is this because she is Muzan's daughter? Is she..... half demon? Is that why she can do this? Can I...... really trust her...? I want to trust her.... But what if everyone is endangered bacause of me?

He had already decided to trust Nezuko who was a demon. The other Hashiras had not taken the news well. If they found out that Penelope was Muzan's daughter..... They would definitely opt to kill her.

He grimaced. I must keep her away from them. She must never join the Corps. Wait.... What if she has already agreed to join?!   

"What did you say?" He asked hastily. 

"I refused.... Should I have said otherwise...?" She asked him.

He shook his head. "Its your decision. Whatever you decide, I'll respect it." He answered, relieved. Even if she wasn't Muzan's daughter, he still wouldn't want her to join the Corps.

She nodded and smiled softly. "Honestly....." She started after a while. He glanced at her. "I was scared....."

He nodded. "The life of a demon slayer is scary. You don't know when you might meet your demise." He was very much glad that she had decided to refuse Oyakata-Sama's request. He did not want to lose her to any demon.

Penelope shook her head. "Its not that I'm afraid of dying. Well, I am.... kind of.... but what I'm actually afraid of is that I won't be able to be here with you for long if I die soon. And I've come so far.... If I die.... I'll lose all my progress....." She mumbled.

He stared at her wordlessly, for it felt as if she was not yet done speaking.

She took his silence as her cue to continue. "But even so.... I want to help you. I might not be able to fight alongside everyone. But I still want to help. I want you to know that if you are ever devoid of hope, you have someone to fall back on. That you have a shoulder you can rest on. And if things get worse... I'll accept Oyakata-Sama's request. I feel that I have been rather ungrateful to him. After all, he was the one who sent you to me." Like Cupid she thought, smiling softly.