Chapter 13

"Why are you so curious....?"

Penelope gulped.

"You said she's going to turn 18 this year. I thought I could make a friend." She smiled. "From what you said, she seems to be a lovely girl!" She faked happiness.

"It is getting late. I should go inside now! Good night, Sakuya-San!"

"Ah..! Uh... Alright.... Good night to you too.... Penelope.." He replied, worried.

Once she was inside her small room in the inn, she dropped to her knees.

That girl Sakura....! She is definitely Yvonne......! There is no mistaking it! She was here this entire time?!

She bit her thumb in frustration. "Ugh!"

Her eyes then widened. What if Sakuya-San tells her where I am?! Or if..... all of this was her plan? I don't know anything about this place... He could easily take me somewhere far and secluded and claim that I died in an accident!

This could be...

She looked out the window from her spot on the wooden floor.

"A trap!"

But..... He could be innocent....

She walked over to the window and saw Sakuya setting up a small tent. He laughed as Hiro (the buffalo) licked his face. Hito (the other buffalo) nudged his palm, which he then brought up to pat the creature.

If he wanted me dead, he could have already done it.....

I'll stay....

"I'm watching you.... Sakuya-San."

.

.

.

"Good morning!" Sakuya exclaimed the moment he saw Penelope walk out of the inn. She was wearing the same dress she had put on the day before.

She smiled warily. "Good morning...."

"We'll leave when your ready, alright?" Sakuya smiled.

"Oh, can you get some onigiri from the inn? We have a long road ahead of us and there are not many food stalls available." Sakuya called out. He then reached into his pocket and pulled out a note and a few coins. "Here, take this. I think it'll be enough." He said before handing her the money.

She nodded as he left to strap the cart to the buffaloes.

.

.

.

Well, Sakuya was right. The journey was long and there were no food stalls. They had been traveling for almost six hours.

Sakuya was now guiding Hiro and Hito to the side of the muddy path. Beside a shallow stream of water. He untied them and gently pulled them towards the water for some rest.

Penelope was stretching her legs beside the cart as she had been sitting in a very uncomfortable position and the movement of the cart had not helped.

She followed the little trail to the stream and took off her shoes before dipping her feet in the cool water.

A low, satisfied sigh escaped her lips as she bent down to cup a handful of water to splash her face with.

She looked behind her to see Sakuya lying on the ground. He got up and walked over to the stream and splashed his face and hair.

"We'll rest here until Hiro and Hito are ready, alright?" He said. 

Penelope hummed.

.