Chapter Eighteen- The Guardian's Trial

After leaving Caros, several days were spent coordinating with the other islands. Rebellion efforts were going well, though it wasn't over for Centrixia or Heau. Clamerates had forced out the majority of the Kingston army. The army had been left with no other option but to retreat from the island.

Marok's people had decided to join the fight, they wished to help the people on the other islands and bring down Kingston. Pirates in the Azure Cove were abuzz about the downfall of Kingston.

It was a lengthy process to organize between the forces joining the battle. However, Xavier felt eager to conduct the invasion once it was all in place. The pirate hadn't arranged anything like this, not even the Second Great Battle for Caros matched the scope of what they had in mind.

It was time to take down Kingston by invading Lonore. Defeat the King and his army, and then secure the Aero Crown.

Helena rejoined the group, though she still had conflict in her expression. "I'm alright, Captain. It's all difficult, and I suppose I'm worried."

Xavier nodded. "That's completely fair, Helena. You can go wherever your heart wants to take you, I promise I'm not going to judge."

The woman sighed. "It's not that easy. I always yearned for adventure, I wanted to explore the world more than anything else. I love being out on the seas, charting the uncharted. But, I also hate saying goodbye to Clyde. I didn't realize how much I missed him until I had to worry that he was gone."

Xavier nodded. "That's completely fair. It's complicated, but I don't think there's any harm in having the feelings that you do. Take whatever time it is that you need, and I think you'll come to a conclusion. If it's any help, I don't plan on sailing out of the archipelago again for quite some time."

"I'd hope not!" Helena said with a laugh. "We're still missing half the crew! Besides, we'll have plenty to do here."

The pirate looked his friend in the eyes. "I do have to say though, Helena. It's alright if you want to step away, or even if you need time off. I'm the last person to tell you where your heart should take you."

A smile flickered onto Helena's face. "Thank you, Captain. For now, let's focus on winning the battle ahead of us."

The invasion would soon be taking place, the preparations had been made. Kingston surely knew what was coming, and were making their own plans. It didn't matter, though. Everything would end in Lonore tomorrow.

Maya and Luna were sitting on the deck of the Glacialine, Luna holding her girlfriend in her arms. "Maya, when this is all over I want to build a house with you on Solanja. We'll have a garden, and it'll be a place we can call our home."

Maya turned and looked up at her girlfriend. "Luna, I love you so much. I have to ask though, can I be the one to decorate?"

Luna scoffed. "Weren't you going to decorate our last home?"

"Yeah! I planned to!" Maya countered, breaking into a bit of laughter. "But when we started going out, we didn't really have the opportunity for decorating."

Luna looked up at the stars and squeezed Maya. "I love you. Sometimes, I wonder what would have happened to me if I hadn't met you. Then, I think about how someone like Astraeus is. The way he hates humans... it reminds me of how I hated myself. You helped me realize that I didn't need to hate myself."

Maya sat up. "Luna, you should love yourself. You're incredible, you're like nothing I've ever seen before. If I hadn't met you, I'd be just as lost." The two locked eyes, and then kissed for a few moments.

They eventually went back to looking at the stars and then heard the sound of footsteps on the deck. Maya and Luna turned to see Atlas striding up to them. "Hey, I'm not interrupting anything, am I?"