3

"Have you lost your mind?! What if she doesn't wake up?!" The shout from someone startled Angelina. Her heart raced as she quickly sat up.

"See? She's fine," came the voice of the Fortuner driver from nearby. However, the woman's tone seemed bored rather than panicked.

"White" was the first word that popped into Angelina's mind. She blinked a few times to confirm her vision. She found herself in a white room with the distinct scent of disinfectant in the air.

"Doctor Angelina? Are you alright?" The soft voice of a man drew Angelina's attention, reminding her that she wasn't alone. She shifted her gaze and spotted a purple-haired woman sitting on a nearby swivel chair.

The Makeup Lizard, as Angelina had playfully named her, was focused on her laptop. Standing near her was a slender, pale man in his forties, wearing glasses and a white lab coat.

"Doctor Angelina? Can you hear me?" The man repeated his question when Angelina didn't respond immediately.

"Who are you?" Angelina inquired, studying the man's anxious expression. Is he a doctor? "Am I in a hospital?"

The man chuckled softly and gave Angelina a reassuring smile. "Yes, you're right. Doctor Fonda said you fainted in the parking lot. Some hospital staff happened to pass by and helped Doctor Fonda bring you here."

"Fainted?"

Pain pulsed in the left side of Angelina's head. She winced as she touched the tender spot.

"Ah! Don't touch! You've got a bump there. You hit your head on something hard when you fell," the man explained as he approached her.

As Angelina tried to recall, her brow furrowed. She had lost consciousness after inhaling a sweet scent....

"I am sorry, I must check your condition," the man said, crouching facing her and shining a small flashlight into her left eye.

"I-I'm alright." Angelina looked away, feeling the coolness of the flashlight against her skin.

The man seemed relieved as he stepped back, tucking the flashlight into his coat pocket. He smiled at her. "I apologize for the commotion earlier. I'm Doctor Reiner, the Director of Genma Hospital."

"Genma Hospital?" Angelina repeated, her confusion evident as she processed her unfamiliar surroundings.

She noticed a large black glass tube at the center of the circular room, surrounded by research equipment and machines until a table with food caught her attention.

Her stomach rumbled with hunger, and her cheeks flushed with embarrassment. "I-I'm sorry, I haven't had lunch yet."

Doctor Reiner chuckled, seemingly understanding. The Makeup Lizard grumbled as she continued typing on her laptop.

"Don't worry. I ordered something for you. Your fainting may be because your blood pressure was quite low."

Angelina hesitated, unsure about accepting the stranger's kindness. However, her stomach betrayed her with another loud growl.

"Thank you." Angelina unwrapped the paper containing a hamburger, fries, and a drink.

She dug into her meal eagerly, sipping the cold lemon tea with satisfaction.

Doctor Reiner pulled a swivel chair and sat facing her, waiting for her to finish eating before starting a conversation while she enjoyed her meal.

"Doctor Fonda mentioned that she hit your car."

Angelina paused mid-bite, memories of the recent events rushing back. "Doctor Fonda... She sprayed something on my face..."

"It was just perfume," Fonda replied, sounding sour. "No offense, but you had quite an odor."

Angelina was surprised by the comment. Do I smell bad?

Angelina was about to defend herself, but Doctor Reiner raised his hand to prevent an argument.

"Doctor Angelina, please excuse Doctor Fonda's frankness. That's just her way. Doctor Fonda, an apology is in order."

Fonda snorted dismissively, ignoring Doctor Reiner's request and Angelina entirely.

Feeling irritated, Angelina's grip on her paper cup tightened. She scowled and spoke with a sharp tone. "I'd like to discuss compensation."

"Of course." Doctor Reiner chuckled. "We've arranged for the repair shop to take your car."

Angelina's eyes widened in surprise. "Without my permission—"

"I apologize, Doctor Angelina," Doctor Reiner interjected. "I mean no disrespect, but it's for your convenience."

"Sure, but—"

"I've spoken with Doctor Fonda. In addition to repairing your car, we'd also like to offer you cash compensation for the inconvenience."

Angelina found herself repeatedly interrupted, making it difficult to express herself. It seemed both of them had a habit of cutting others off.

"It might not be much, but consider it an apology from us." Doctor Reiner retrieved a long piece of paper from his lab coat and handed it to Angelina. He adjusted his glasses and added, "Think of it as a welcome gift from Genma Hospital."

Angelina furrowed her brow as she examined the paper. Her eyes widened at the sight of a one followed by seven zeroes.

"What's this?" Angelina glanced at the blue paper, clearly from a well-known Indonesian bank, with the word "cash" printed prominently. Her confusion was evident.

"That's a check!" Fonda's sudden exclamation made Reiner cough. Fonda swiveled in her chair to give Angelina an exasperated look.

However, Fonda's frustrated expression didn't help Angelina understand any better. Instead, she asked with genuine curiosity, "What's this for?"

"Consider it a gesture of goodwill from Genma Hospital." The man winked at her. "And... a small incentive so you will join us."

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, scanning, or otherwise without written permission from the publisher. It is illegal to copy this book, post it to a website, or distribute it by any other means without permission.

Copyright @2023, Luna S.Winterheart

Visit my website https://www.lunawinterheart.my.id/