7

"Mr. Nixon, wait here," ordered Fonda when the big man intended to follow Angelina, who had stepped inside first.

The artificial wall closed after the two women were in the room. White. Again, Angelina got a clean impression of the surroundings.

The surveillance cameras right on the ceiling of the entrance equipped the place, which looked like a giant semicircle without windows. Even so, Angelina could feel the cold air from the central air conditioner while she examined various medicines that filled two glass cabinets: ointments, bandages, and scalpels. Weird, the room is similar to an examination room, even a surgical room, but without the bed for the patient.

However, Angelina was more interested in knowing about him as she observed the iron bars on her left.

The low roar coming from inside the cage piqued her curiosity. A tiger is wounded.

Her eyes lingered on the cage and found the animal curled up on the floor, near the bars, where Fonda was at that time.

"Is the tiger seriously injured?" asked Angelina in a worried tone. The roar was weak and slow. Did he lose a fight with other tigers?

"See for yourself." Fonda held back laughter. For some reason, Angelina felt that her partner mocked her.

Angelina turned sour. She almost forgot about her coworker's irritating personality. "I am sorry, Doctor Fonda. According to safety standards, we need at least four people to handle an injured tiger, and having Mr. Nixon would be helpful."

"This animal is tamed." Fonda grinned. She squatted down and slid her left hand between the bars, stroking the distinctive striped back Sumatran tiger. "He is also in a wounded state, poor thing..."

Angelina caught her breath in shock. Touching a conscious wild animal, even if injured, is perilous. "W-what?! Not dangerous? H—he could attack you."

Fonda dismissed the concerns with a snort. However, she retracted her hand before turning to Angelina, who watched her. "I have stitched it up using the sliding tissue flaps method. Your job is to check it out. If you are scared, you can use a blowpipe. It is in the same cabinet as the bandages."

Angelina hesitated even to move. There were too many oddities in this place. A hospital with a secret zoo underground? And, she had to examine a tiger with a colleague whose sanity she was beginning to doubt? Seriously.

However, the weak roar made her focus on her duty. "What is the emergency status?"

"Major," Fonda replied. "The stitches on his back need to be checked. He may soon die of infection because the doctor in charge was too casual about his condition."

Angelina gasped. It was a sin for doctors, including veterinarians, to neglect a patient. The woman ran to the closet to grab the supplies she needed.

"You can find the anesthetic blowgun on the left side." Fonda provided the information with no intention of moving from her spot. Instead, she looked delighted as Angelina seemed frantic.

Angelina ignored the mockery-like tone. She hurried over to Fonda and crouched next to her. Despite the dim lighting, she could see ten centimeters of stitches on the skin. Fonda seemed to have shaved the fur around the wound area.

Compassion took hold of her heart. It must have hurt like hell.

"What is his name?" Angelina asked. She regretted lingering too long while looking around. The beast did need help.

"Ramaik."

Angelina leaned, then whispered, "Hello, Ramaik. My name is Doctor Angelina. Nice to meet you."