December 9th | White christmas

⁕*⁕
November 28, New York City, USA - Mary

The first thing I thought about when I woke up was tiredness. I was totally wasted, even though I must have slept for half an eternity. I was sure it had to be the jetlag. I blinked and finally recognized the contours of the living room that had been part of my home since yesterday. I pulled myself up from the sofa, threw the blanket off me and sat down. I rubbed my eyes and looked around. It was quiet in the apartment. When I looked at your tree again, I had to restrain myself from puffing. At the bottom of the branches was Lenny, sleeping peacefully. I couldn't remember when I fell asleep. But surely Lenny had not been lying under the Christmas tree at that moment. As quiet as I could, I got up and sneaked into the kitchen. Although I didn't really know what was where, I was convinced that I could make breakfast. I took a look at the kitchen clock. It was 7:30. Carol had been in the office for a few hours and Sina had to be in school too.

So I decided to just set the table and put out toast and jam. After all, I wasn't very hungry myself. So while I was following my plan, my gaze fell out of the window, right out into the snowy New York. And for the first time in my life, I knew I had done it. I had actually fulfilled my dream. I was in New York, it was snowing and it was officially Advent. I was free. And I was really happy, incredibly happy. "Hey.", it came from behind and I swirled around. Lenny leaned on the kitchen island and smiled mischievously. His hair was all messed up and his voice was still a little rough. He was almost sexy. But I wouldn't admit that to myself. "Good morning.", I answered him and took the jam out of the fridge. "Are you enjoying the weather?" Lenny asked me, helping me set the table. "And how."I can hardly believe it. Christmas, New York and snow." We sat down at the dining table and started having breakfast. We talked from time to time, but I was still far too fascinated by the view I had.

"This afternoon Sina will go ice skating with you. I want you to get ready to get kicked.Lenny then quoted a message he had received from his sister. "Oh, I must. I've never skated before." Lenny looked at me a little confused. "Okay, you still have a lot to learn." I laughed and nodded. "When is she coming out of school?" I asked. "Sina? About three o'clock, I think." I smiled. "Then we still have a lot of time until then," I hinted. "Oh, forget it. I'm not taking a step outside." said Lenny immediately. "Oh, come on. It's Christmas time. It's wonderful outside. We have to go to Christmas markets and eat gingerbread!" I exclaimed joyfully. Lenny shook his head laughing. "I am going to buy gingerbread." I cheered slightly. "Okay, I can agree on that. No Christmas market. But bring dominoes. And Speculatius!" Lenny laughed as he walked out of the room.

A few minutes later he looked back in the living room door. He had finished, tamed his hair and changed his clothes. He just put on his winter jacket. "Well, I'll be gone. I think I need a quarter of an hour." I nodded. "See you then, have fun." I grinned. Lenny just made a grin and I heard the door fall into the lock.

⁕*⁕

⁕*⁕