December 14th | I'll be home

⁕*⁕
December 2, New York City, USA – Lenny

My excitement was actually limited. Although I didn't expect to get an eye, I slept through. I was quite relieved to leave the sofa behind and sleep in a real bed again. I was looking forward to Australia and I was ready to leave New York behind. But I wasn't ready to say goodbye to Mary. We had hardly exchanged a word since I heard about her boyfriend, but still nothing had changed. I didn't stand between two people, as I decided when Dad died. But when I looked into Mary's eyes, I knew it was an impossibility. I always told myself the first thing I'd worry about was being okay. But for Mary, I'd drive 10 hours to be with her. But there wasn't a chance for us, it just wasn't the right time.

"Have a good time, big boy," Mom said goodbye and hugged me tightly. I bent down to Sina and took her in my arms. I would miss her terribly. Where would my little whirlwind be? Mary didn't have any siblings. Maybe that's why I'm so homesick. But Australia has been a dream for years. After all, I had to live for Dad. Make his dreams come true because no one else could. I got up again and my eyes fell on Mary. The expression on her face didn't tell me how she felt. But their eyes spoke more than a thousand words. I needed her. For a long time, I hadn't felt as alive as when she was with me. Not since Dad died. I took a step towards her and spread out my arms. Mary's mask fell and I saw a tear running down her cheek. Then she fell into my arms and cried softly on my shoulder.

I buried my face in her dark hair and inhaled her sweet smell. I'd like to never let her go again. Mary disengaged from the embrace and I ran my thumb over her cheek to wipe away a tear. Mary looked up at me and smiled, only slightly. Sina exaggerated and pulled us both out of the situation. I took a look at the clock. I really had to go. "See you soon," I said to my family, glancing at Mary again. "And Merry Christmas, Mary." Then I disappeared into the security check and looked back at the people who were waving at me. A new chapter had just begun.

When I landed in Alice Springs 30 hours later, I had hit more than I'd ever hit before. My back hurt and I had a cramp in my neck – but I was warmly welcomed by the Orleans family. Paul Orleans was a middle-aged, friendly man with a mustache and dimples in his cheek. He looked exactly like you imagined a farmer. Ella Orleans, on the other hand, hardly looked at her age. She seemed content and happy. Not a single wrinkle indicated that she already had a nearly twenty-year-old daughter. The car ride that followed was incredibly long, but very pleasant. Not least because I learned a lot about Mary's childhood. When we arrived at the farm another three hours later, I felt like I was in a movie. Around the farm was wide steppe and the only thing you could see far and wide were the huge flocks of sheep.

But I enjoyed the fresh air, the country life, the sheep and the warm weather. And I enjoyed being able to find out who Mary really was.

⁕*⁕

⁕*⁕